Updates no longer possible, pamac not working

Having an EOL kernel that was no longer in the repos prevented him from updating. The issue with pamac i guess could have been from not keeping his system upto date.

Best advice i can give is keep your system up to date, always read the announcement threads and take regular backups. Do that and you’ll be fine

1 Like

I kept my system up to date, the moment there is an update, there is the pamac icon that appaers to notify an update, and this icon stays in the panel until the update has been done.
When this icon appears, I always immediately update the system, but now it was some time ago that the icon appeared, therefore I manually launched the add/remove application, and it did not start.
So I tried to start pamac via the terminal, and it did not start and gave me the above mentioned error message.

So no idea what went wrong here.

Probably mirror got outdated or corrupted, downloaded the corrupted db once, it basically was checking outdated mirror for updates so no updates, and then something broke in pamac because of it(or partial update, like maybe canceled updating pamac in middle of it), pacman not being able to download the pamac again was because the packages db was outdated, pacman not able to actually install it was because of untracked files by pacman, basically pamac was installed but pacman forget some of the files or something, that’s what I am thinking, and btw you have to update to newer kernel versions manually

The cause of not being able download the update, first issue was caused by corrupted/outdated packages db, solving it by gettting good up to date mirrors and syncing forcefully the packages db
The cause of pamac being broken probably canceled update in middle of it, can be solved with installing it again with --overwrite
The cause of not able to update kernel was because the newer kernel needed newer nvidia-utils but the older not so it was conflicting, removing the old stuff allowed then the person to update to newer kernel

How to prevent it:

1. Make sure you have good up to date mirrors with shiny-mirrors or pacman-mirrors so you have good packages db
  2. Don’t cancel updates in middle of updating, canceling download stage is ok but when it’s actually replacing the files, thats big no no
  3. Keep the kernel updated, don’t ever stay on End Of Life marked kernel
2 Likes

I’ll have to check kernel updates manually regularly then, I was not aware that kernels were not updated automatically, like the rest of the software.

Strange that a vital part of the OS does not get included in the update list in Manjaro, I used Kubuntu before, and there kernels were included in the system updates.

You could just install an lts kernel and forget about it. Theres also a notification package that gives a notification whenever a new kernel is available

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.