Update to r8168 (8.051.02-1) breaks network access

Upgrading to r8168 (8.051.02-1) breaks network access (no network adapters available other than virtual and localhost). This definitely happens in kernels 6.1.x, 6.4.x, 6.5.x, on others the problem is probably also present. Rolling back to version 8.050.03-x fixes this issue.
I wrote this message in case someone encounters a problem accessing the Internet and does not know how to fix it.
And in order to pay attention to this version of the package.
I’m using the following network card if that’s helpful: Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
All the best.

With 8.051.02-1, the r8169 kernel driver is blacklisted by default as they conflict.

Remove linuxXXX-r8168, reboot and the r8169 kernel driver will be used instead. Apparently it’s been in use this whole time and you weren’t actually using r8168 at all.

1 Like

This regression has also been reported in other distributions. But with that network adapter, you don’t need the out-of-tree r8168 driver. Use the in-kernel r8169 driver instead and remove r8168.

Note: You may need to remove r8169 from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Yeah, I guess you’re right. My fault, I wasn’t paying enough attention. It looks like this package was left over from my old computer after moving the hdd . Thanks for the reply.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.