Update Nvidia Driver to 450 while using Optimus Switch

Is there a step by step tutorial to update my Nvidia driver from 440x to 450x while I am using Optimus Switch?

(My GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Max Q, in case that matters)

Tagging @dglt because he is awesome :wink:

It’s rather simple actually.
Try to remove the old driver with mhwd. It will tell you if there any packages that depend on the nvidia driver. If there are any meta packages like linux-latest etc, it is safe to remove them, if there are any other dependecies, for example like cuda, you will need to uninstall them temporarily, while you install the new driver. Then you can reinstall them.

Is there anything special you need to do really? I’ve been using Optimus Manager since my first install and all I had to do was uninstall the 440 drivers in the hardware settings, then

sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

I had nothing else to change to keep using optimus, but I do use the NVIDIA card 100% of the time, since I use an external monitor and reverse PRIME doesn’t work properly yet, so it’s a genuine question for when I need to use my laptop by itself.

I vaguely recall having to reinstall Optimus Switch, so I was wondering if there was any Optimus Switch specific thing I needed to do, to ensure non-black screening my computer.

Hi!
I’m using optimus-switch-amd-sddm and just change to 450, this is what i did.

1. Uninstall linux-latest and any other dependency of his.
  2. Unistall nvidia-440xx
  3. Install nvidia-450xx ( not any hybrid driver, just nvidia-450xx)
  4. Reboot
  5. Check if optimus-switch still working, try to change between graphics card. (for me it still working)
  6. If it doesn’t work, navigate to the folder of optimus-switch usually in your /home, give executable permissions to the uninstall script, run it, reboot, go to the same folder again and run the installation script, reboot and check
1 Like

Did it go smooth or had u faced any issues?

Hi!
All went smooth, just uninstall linux-latest, nvidia-440xx and install nvidia-45xx. I’m usually use igpu as primary, so I tried to change to nvidia to use the hdmi output and work just fine. I didn’t have to reinstall optimus-switch

This broke lightdm for me.

And this fixed it :smiley:
Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.