Update icon in panel gone

Hi all,
I just noticed that the update shield icon has disappeared from my notification area. No idea how to get it back or when it went away. If I right click software update in the menu I can get the orange icon added top panel but not the shield one. Any suggestions?

is this gnome were talking about? certain icon themes are not letting that shield icon show up. you should include inxi -Fxxxz as a minimum for any help requests so other know what your working with.

Sorry - HP laptop, pretty much standard xfce install. Details:
kernel: 4.20.17-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.2git-UNKNOWN tk: Gtk 3.24.3 info: xfce4-panel
wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.28.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux. Using Papirus icon.
Have tried changing icons and still no update icon.

maybe others from either of those 2 links i posted know whats going on, i was only providing info thats available, it’s been a while since i used gnome so i cant really replicate it on my end.

I have a suggestion, but you probably wont like it. Get rid of the update notifiers entirely. The annoying icon in your tray makes most people update far sooner than they should. The safest way to perform your updates is 2 days after an update has been released. Any really problematic update probably has a fix released the next day. However if you update right away you could potentially be one of the unfortunates who ends up with an unbootable system.

This weeks update is a prime example, two downgrades were released the next day after the updates. This has happened probably three times in the last several months. Each time could be a potential meltdown if you did it right away.

The other positive side effect is it sort of encourages you to check the forum for update news rather than relying on some tray icon to tell you what to do. This is another huge step to preventing system breaking updates. The forum update threads warn you in advance of any special measures you need to take before you start a known problematic update.

Do yourself a favor and just get rid of those tray notifiers, they increase your odds of having a bad update by a huge margin IMO. Just say no.

2 Likes

I ended up just taking the opportunity to do a complete fresh install. All good again (and also fixed an issue with Firefox as well). So not sure what happened but probably me just stuffing around with things as I tend to do with Linux.

1 Like

Yeah I do this anyway - I learnt a long time ago (started using Linux with Ubuntu 8.04) to wait a while with updates - just in case - so any newbies reading this - it is a very good suggestion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.