Update errors: '/lib/modules/5.7.19-2-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory

Hi All.

I’m new to Linux and have been using it for about 6 months. This is my first time in the forum here. All has been OK so far with my step over to Linux. The last 3 weeks, I had to step away and have come back to a lot of updates. I ran the update and there was an error. Some more updates happened today and the same error has appeared. The result of the update was a ‘success’ but there was a pop up box that said an error occured. First appearance in the update below.

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux57.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.7-x86_64.img
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.7.19-2-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
Error while configuring 
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux57.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.7-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.7.19-2-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
Error while configuring 
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux58.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]

It then continues OK through linux58 and in to linux59. I assume this is updating the kernel because it needed it and there were errors in the update on the old one??

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux59.preset: 'fallback'
      -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
    ==> Starting build: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO
      -> Running build hook: [base]
      -> Running build hook: [udev]
      -> Running build hook: [modconf]
      -> Running build hook: [block]
      -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
      -> Running build hook: [keymap]
      -> Running build hook: [resume]
      -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
    ==> Generating module dependencies
    ==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
    ==> Image generation successful
    Error: command failed to execute correctly
    Reloading system bus configuration...
    Warn about old perl modules
    Copy Firefox Distribution Settings
    fix appstream datas for pamac
          archive usr/share/app-info/xmls/community.xml.gz fixed
    Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
    Updating icon theme caches...
    Hiding redundant menu entries
    Updating the info directory file...
    Updating the appstream cache...
    AppStream cache update completed successfully.
    Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
    Updating the MIME type database...
    Transaction successfully finished.

What is going on here? Anything to worry about with the last error? I have noted that my system is running the last build 5.9.11-3-MANJARO.

Thanks in advance.

Kernels 5.7 and 5.8 are EOL = End Of Life.
You can remove them trough MHWD and use the 5.9 and you can also keep a LTS kernel like 5.4

Thanks for the information. With it, I found out about the mhwd-kernel command and uninstalled linux57 and linux58 leaving me with linux414 (whatever that is) and linux59.

I was thinking same question – but where did i find again the kernel-list? I remember seen the list of kernels in graphical form and i could have make some changes in there during one upgrade but if i type in Xfce menu “kernel” it returns nothing :sweat:

edit: found! Manjaro Settings Manager → Kernel

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.