Update error: nodejs-lts-hydrogen and nodejs-lts-gallium are in conflict

Hi, I was trying running an update with pacman just now and I’ve run into a roadblock. My cli output was :

:: Synchronizing package databases...
core                                                 144.6 KiB   200 KiB/s 00:01 [###############################################] 100%
extra                                                  8.6 MiB  2.04 MiB/s 00:04 [###############################################] 100%
community                                             29.0   B   725   B/s 00:00 [###############################################] 100%
multilib                                             144.6 KiB  1315 KiB/s 00:00 [###############################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace jupyterlab_pygments with extra/jupyterlab-pygments? [Y/n] y
warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.7.0-6) is newer than extra (0.7.0-5)
:: Replace palemoon-bin with extra/palemoon? [Y/n] y
:: Replace texlive-core with extra/texlive-basic? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: nodejs-lts-hydrogen and nodejs-lts-gallium are in conflict

nodejs-lts-gallium is currently installed and an important dependency to many other packages. So I would like to find out which of the updated packages is pulling nodejs-lts-hydrogen in as a NEW dependency. Is there an easy way to do this?

You can locate which packages depend on a given package

pacman -Qii <pkgname>

There can be only one package providing a given binary at any point in time - in this case node.

If you are developer and for compatibility reasons need different versions - you may benefit from using a node version manager.

The problem I have is that no packages on my system currently depend on the offending package (nodejs-lts-hydrogen), it would seem to be a new dependency.

Having the same issue, have run the above to check dependencies (thanks for that tip btw linux-aarhus!) and have a few for nodejs-lts-gallium but nothing apparently depends on nodejs-lts-hydrogen. I don’t do any development using nodejs.

EDIT: just to clarify, problem has just become apparent upon trying to update packages today so is presumably a recent issue.

Managed to get past this by running

pamac reinstall nodejs-lts-gallium

This updated the nodejs-lts-gallium package to a slightly more recent version. Ran pamac update afterwards and seems to be running ok so far. Updates are still downloading so haven’t managed to test if I’ve broken anything yet :upside_down_face:

Any luck? Haven’t heard back yet, getting kinda worried.

Went with your solution, ran the update, all seemed to go well and everything seems happy. It seems that nodejs-lts-hydrogen has replaced gallium. I ran gtop which had gallium reported as a dependency and it works fine. Anyway, so far so good. Thank you for your help. Marking as solved.

Haha, thanks for the concern. As is typical I ran the updates right before going to bed and have just got up again! All seems to be working fine for me, Now when I run pacman -Qii nodejs-lts-gallium it returns error: package 'nodejs-lts-gallium' not found but if I do the same with nodejs-lts-hydrogen it returns dependencies, etc. This was the other way around yesterday. Glad it solved your problem!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.