Update broke my nvidia video

Hey,
I did the update that came this evening, pacman complained about some dependency problem so I thought I try the graphical updater which ran and now I don’t have graphics. At all.
I tried to download driver from Nvidia website (not sure that’s the right thing to do but didn’t know what else to do; even google abilities are 99% killed when in console) but first it complained about nouveau driver which I disabledf rom grub but then it also asked for kernel sources which I don’t have and at that point I gave up and booted to my Windows (luckily still have it) to ask what should I do.
I have a kernel 5.16.20-2 or something like that (5.16 in any case). There’s no updates at the moment as reported by pacman or pamac.
Machine is a desktop ryzen 5 3600 with a 2070 super I been using with Manjaro since November (yey, half year to break the system, it is a record…)

Any suggestions what to do?

yes you are using eol kernel 5.16 thats why your system broke… can you boot into your system? or are you stuck at a black screen?

Oh. I can boot just fine, alt-f2 etc works so can use the text console. Can I manually update kernel? Thought it gets updated with the frequent updates. I remember in graphical UI there was a utility to switch kernel but not sure how would I do any of that in console.

so post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li
mhwd -l && mhwd -li

Sorry for the barbaric method but it’s not too trivial how to copy paste across OSes.

well you said you can boot normally … so uninstall the 516 with:
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux516
then install your graphics driver:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
do you have dual graphics? nvidia+intel, or nvidia+amd or only nvidia?

That looks to have fixed it, thank you for the help!
Looking at the graphical kernel manager I see now I am running the 5.15 LTS so I should be fine.
Btw it’s a desktop I don’t think I have any other graphics unless the cpu or mb has, I really have no idea.

check with this command:
inxi -G

inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU104 [GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER] driver: nvidia v: 510.73.05
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
gpu: nvidia resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 2560x1440
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.73.05

so you have only nvidia, everyhting is ok

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.