Update breaks dependencies

The first port of call when having dependency problems is to try to update your mirrors then try again.

For even more fine-tuning took into the updated wiki of the announcement here

:bowing_man:

Thanks, now it works :+1:

1 Like

Mhm, seems that the dependency problems are still continuing after the system update.
First, pacman is saying that the packages are newer than extra
Second, the problem with libcap persists

Use Manjaro’s pamac instead in a terminal:

pamac upgrade

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@Fabby I had a similar issue, had to restore using timeshift…then I followed your advice and used pamac instead of pacman and it worked! I’m not sure if it was the same issue as I didn’t commit to memory the error message. Anyways, thank you so much! This isn’t the first time the forums has saved me.

1 Like

I’m still learning, but thought I might provide some feedback… it helps me solidify my thinking when I “write it down” so maybe this benefits us both. :innocent:

In my case, I have pamac (GUI) set to the mirrors for Canada. And even though I see 4 potential Canadian mirrors at https://repo.manjaro.org/ only one of them has the Stable mirror check.

And when I run pacman-mirrors --status it basically echo’s the same finding of the URL by only returning the live/updated “Stable” mirror for my region…

Local mirror status for stable branch
Mirror #1   OK  00:21   Canada  https://osmirror.org/manjaro/

So, I’d say as long as you get at least one “OK” result from the pacman-mirrors --status command, you shouldn’t have a mirror issue.

However, if you don’t get an “OK” result… reference the URL, pick a country (or global) that has at least one up to date “Stable” mirror, and update pamac to use that mirror.

All that (and more) is in the New issues now…

:bowing_man:

No need to sudo for pacman-mirrors --status (edited that out)

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Post the exact output please if you’re still having issues?

And please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

so
that
it
looks
this

:+1:

Did pacman-mirrors and pacman -Syu again this morning, and this time everything works. Thanks for the support

1 Like

Has the problem with the German mirrors been solved now, or do we still have to use the global mirror (CDN77)?

Why not just stay with CDN77?
Is it not good, in some way?

Sure, but why not use servers in my country instead? That’s what they were set up for, right?

CDN means “content delivery network”, it has servers everywhere.
I’m in Australia, and when I use CDN77, it connects to a server in Sydney.

EDIT:
So the ‘global’ CDN77 probably is in your country (or close enough).

This command reveals which city CDN77 connects you to:
curl -IL "https://mirrors.manjaro.org"

curl -I gets only the header, does not download a file.
In the header, look for “X-77-POP”.
(POP means “point of presence”, i.e., which “edge server” you connected to.)
For me it’s “sydneyAU” (which is about 2,500 km from where I live, but it’s quick).

2 Likes

I noticed this latest update here on The Forum, but it was not indicated by Pamac itself.

So, I went through the GUI(French Language interface) and discovered that the “Mise a jour”(Update) Button had been renamed “M.à.j” with a minute ducument icon… Strange, but no deal breaker in reality. Pressed said button and after a while was told that my system was up to date!..?

To remedy this I had to go through Konsole(KDE) and use the following command :
“sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu”.

Got the update and had a smooth reboot. All seems well, except for the minor niggle with the above-mentioned Pamac button which has not changed at all.

Cheers :+1:

1 Like

I am getting some dependency warnings, and I’m not sure if it is OK to proceed…

I first tried to update using pamac -update and that gave me the dependency cycle warnings. So then I ran the following as suggested in the OP

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip && sudo pacman -Syyu

But I still get the following warnings:

warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.6.7-2) is newer than extra (0.6.6-9)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: mesa will be installed before its libglvnd dependency
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: harfbuzz will be installed before its freetype2 dependency

Do I need to fix these or is it OK to proceed?

Thanks

1 Like

no error here, these “warnings” are completely normal
pacman only indicates that it will change the installation order

package Z will be installed before package B

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Is sudo pacman-mirrors -g && sudo pacman -Syu the correct way to refresh mirrors?

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu

This is the correct way.

Here are more details

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman-mirrors

3 Likes