Upcoming Telemetry feature

I simply don’t get it. Figuring out what the other 95% of silent users are using is the only way by calling home in a decent way. And we clearly know how the 5% of our user base things about this topic …

2 Likes

It is in fact very simple.

Either you trust in the developers or you don’t.

I actually admire the developers investing so much time here answering to even the most ludicrous speculations and accusations. Time that also could be used for actual development.

So far I don’t see any reason to not trust the developers, so please go on and I will see what is coming, based on facts and not on speculations.

9 Likes

A few persons represent only themselves, it is not even 0.1%

3 Likes

Every time that anybody put an executive of any company that uses telemetry practices in a dock to answer, or give reasons about the practices of that telemetry and how it handles privacy, the answers they give are similar to those exposed here.
Telemetry is telemetry, the way in which it is used by whoever has access to that data cannot have any real guarantee that it will be used according to the one who obtained it promised.
Once you provide information or open the telemetry tube you will never know what will happen next.
At some point, at the beginning of that practice by any individual or company, as it should be, the benefit of the doubt is given. Some time later things come to light that one would not have wanted or known about the use that that individual gave to the data obtained from that telemetry.
There are many examples, but it is not worth mentioning them.
Your house, your rules.
Telemetry is like that neighbor who walks into your house to see what you have in your pantry. Then she goes to tell the rest of the neighborhood the details.

2 Likes

I believe the expression “making a mountain out of a molehill” has been used on this thread at least once already, but the mountaineering experts keep on coming in. :roll_eyes:

Look, it was clearly stated here on the thread that any future telemetry included with Manjaro will be…

• opt-in; and
  • removable.

Also, it has clearly been stated what kind of information any such telemetry would be gathering ─ if enabled ─ and I don’t believe the explanation by @philm said anything about your shoe size, what color of underwear you’re wearing or even what websites you visit.

So if Manjaro’s telemetry ─ should it ever be included in the default install, and even then it would be opt-in and removable ─ doesn’t gather any sensitive information on you, then no sensitive information on you can ever be used or abused by any of Manjaro’s partners either.

By the way, did we mention that it would be opt-in and removable? Be glad that we’re not like Canonical, or even Mozilla, where it’s opt-out and often not removable ─ not to mention companies like Microsoft and Apple.

Besides, most of you use Firefox as your browser and Google as your search engine, and you’re probably registered at some social media network like TwitFaceTubagram, where you are the product being sold and traded between various corporations.

:man_facepalming:

14 Likes

Well, who is using Firefox?

5 Likes

Not to mention google-chrome from the AUR. We’ve got loads of members who insist on installing it, even though chromium is open-source and has less telemetry than its proprietary sibling.

And then there are the brave-browser users. It supposedly blocks third-party tracking and third-party ads, but it has its own telemetry built in, and there has been a lot of controversy about that.

Oh, but wait, let’s take it one step farther… Who, of the plaintiffs here on the thread, does not own a smartphone?

Yes, all of the Manjaro developers are being paid by Microsoft. Depending on the pertinent Manjaro developer’s personal automotive preferences, they send us new Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and McLarens whenever the ashtray’s full in the ones we currently drive.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thay’s why I degoogle all my smartphones.

Which, as I’m sure you will agree, is not exactly for the faint of heart.

1 Like

I agree. You have to know which phones the bootloader can be unlocked and have good custom ROM support. And if you do go that way not being able to use google services can be a hassle but for me it’s worth it.

I went one step further. I revived my Nokia 3310 and use this one now. That’s what mobile phone should do: Phone and maybe SMS + anonymous sim cards.

That made my life much easier and less headache.

:joy:

NO JOKE

But honestly, telemetry can and should be used, if you want to grow, be relevant and overall improve services. Today, there is no way around it, if you want stable and reliable services for the masses. If it is a program for just a few folks and the code is just stupid simple, then it is not necessary, but complex programs like DE’s highly need this and even Distros, which are also a complex collection of software.

2 Likes

Considering that the original question has been properly answered ─ several times already, even ─ and that the thread has also seriously gone off the rails since then, I am hereby closing this discussion.

There’s nothing useful that can be added to it anymore, and the trolls are starting to come out of their closets. :man_facepalming:

12 Likes