Damn, I just got through spending hours trying to recover my machine... I should have listened to my own advice I gave previously, and just waited for the update. I backed up and renamed the offending file as suggested after I had posted earlier. Doing so left me unable to get to my desktop with my old legacy Nvidia-304.xx setup.
I thought, no problem it's happened before, just part of the price of running unstable. So I put in my installation disk and figured I'd just chroot from it and get things straightened out...wrong!!! My freaking disc wouldn't boot! I guess I must have scratched it and I didn't have a spare (or so I thought). I scrambled around trying to find a friend with a machine I could burn a new disc off of, which took me across town and I had to wait for him to get off of work.
He rushed home, I burned a new disc, then I hustled back to my place to repair my system, not! My laptop wouldn't boot up the new disc either! I tried everything, cleaning the lazar, took the drive out and reseated it, tried cleaning the contacts...it still wouldn't boot! It turned out my drive had crapped out. Damn!!!
Lucky for me, that there's a Dell wholesale parts place that stocks parts for old laptops like mine, because there's demand still in South America and the Caribbean, but it's back across town near where my friend lives. So I hopped back in my car, managed to get there 5 mins before they closed and I was able to get a replacement drive that was pulled from a year newer model that fits my laptop..
I got the new drive home, installed it, then put in the disc and crossed my fingers. Thankfully it worked! I was able to chroot back into my system, and in the intervening hours @philm had released his updated solution into the repo. I was able to get my baby back up and running...So on the bright side, now I have Blu-ray DVD burner combo, which I didn't have before.
I just don't know If I'll be able to use it to watch Blu-ray discs though, I don't think I have enough CPU or GPU power, and I don't have any discs to try....
Anyhow the moral of the story is just like I had said in my previous post, if an update comes into the repo that won't update on it's own, don't mess with it!!! Just wait until the Devs come up with a workable solution. It's not worth hosing a working machine experimenting!!!