[Unstable Update] 2022-11-25 - Mkinitcpio, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon

Hello community,

Another unstable branch update with some usual package updates for you.

Only today! Get 35% off your Manjaro merch

• Arch has released mkinitcpio 33 with some structural changes

• :warning: There is a pacnew for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Make sure you review it. If you make any changes, don’t forget to run sudo mkinitcpio -P afterward.
      Here’s a helpful pacnew script by @omano using Meld. Change it to your favorite diff program if you prefer:

pacnew.sh
      #!/bin/bash
      pacnews=($(/usr/bin/pacdiff --output|grep -v pacsave))
      nb="${#pacnews[@]}"
      if [[ $nb -gt 0 ]]; then
          echo; echo; echo -e "$nb .pacnew found in system"
          printf "%s\n" "${pacnews[@]}"
          echo; read -p "See the PacDiff? " -n 1 -r
          if [[ $REPLY =~ ^[YyOo]$ ]]; then
              echo; set -euo pipefail
              export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
              for i in $(/usr/bin/pacdiff --output|grep -v pacsave); do
                  echo; echo "Processing $i ..."
                  /usr/bin/meld "admin://$i" "admin://${i/.pacnew/}"
                  echo; read -p "Delete the file $i? " -n 1 -r
                  if [[ $REPLY =~ ^[YyOo]$ ]]; then
                      echo; sudo rm -v "$i"
                  fi
              done
          fi
      fi

• NVIDIA 470.161.03 (legacy driver for GKxxx “Kepler” GPUs)

• NVIDIA 390.157 (legacy driver for GF1xx “Fermi” GPUs)

• Qt 6.4.1

• Gtk 3.24.35

• SDL 2.26

• LibreOffice (Fresh Branch) 7.4.3

• Cinnamon 5.6

• KDE-git, Haskell and Python updates as usual

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

3 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Unstable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2022-11-25

pacman-mirrors was temporarily renamed to manjaro-mirrors (changed has been reverted)

This was done to avoid confusion with an AUR / WSL package with the same name and avoid possible breakage. It should be a seamless transition.

testing and unstable users need to adjust /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf after updating to use their chosen branch.

Rename project (#183) · Issues · Applications / pacman-mirrors · GitLab

I kept my old hooks in the mkinitcpio.conf:
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard mdadm_udev) (no fsck here, systemd-fsck is in use).
I notice that keyboard is nowadays placed before block. Am I shooting myself in the foot later down the line by not doing the same? Other hooks, like kms, keymap and consolefont don’t seem relevant to me.

For systemd I use

HOOKS=(systemd autodetect modconf block keyboard sd-vconsole filesystems)

Also uncomment this line in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_ROOT_FS_RO=true

this allows systemd-fsck to work

2 Likes

@oberon
Linux stable 6.0.10
Linux LTS 5.15.80
Released today.

1 Like

:wink:

3 Likes

Du hast ein third-party repo. Das ist noch unsupporteter (:sweat_smile:) als das AUR.

Arch added a config change: Build in TCG_TPM, TCG_TIS and TCG_CRB · archlinux/svntogit-packages@865813e · GitHub

1 Like

maybe no, i did the same mistake

if you want to both “fsck” and mount rootfs in one go, forcing rootfs into RO mode will make it mount twice during boot, first in RO mode to "fsck"and then again in RW mode for regular use.

additionally you should use fsck hook in your mkinitcpio

refer;
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fsck#Mechanism

2 Likes

Yes it will mount twice but what is wrong with that?
Also if you don’t do it systemd will not run fsck and if you do do it no hook needed.

3 Likes

It does explain why you need to mount as read-only for systemd-fsck, though.

Edit: Whichever method you choose, the check is only done once.

1 Like

Well the first thing in my hooks line is systemd so it makes sense, at least to me, to use systemd fsck.

I’ve replaced base-hook with systemd-hook myself.

was only a suggestion, with the sole premise being rootfs only mounted once(pimping boot process :-p) it is the default mechanism afterall. as for, if there is any advantage, don’t know.

who knows what fsck-hook does, maybe it does indeed mount rootfs in RO mode and it’s hidden from the logs (my sole evidence that it is mounted once)

1 Like

systemd-modules-load[360]: Failed to find module 'amd_pstate'
when using linux61 6.1.0rc7-1
EDIT:
systemd-modules-load[360]: Failed to find module 'amd_pstate'

when using linux61 (6.1.0rc8-1)

…because of Riesen, I know… :grinning:

EDIT2:
following a hint of stephane :+1:
the amd-pstate works in kernel6.1.0-1 by adding additional boot-parameter:
amd_pstate=passive

1 Like

Module is disable on 6.1-rc7 for a reason I guess.

Update from René about the AMD-P-State Driver:

1 Like

Is there anyone having the same error

pamac upgrade --force-refresh                                                                          
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Refreshing core.db...                                                                                                 
Refreshing extra.db...                                                                                                
Refreshing community.db...                                                                                            
Refreshing multilib.db...                                                                                             
Refreshing core.files...                                                                                              
Refreshing extra.files...                                                                                             
Refreshing community.files...                                                                                         
Refreshing multilib.files...                                                                                          
https://aur.manjaro.org/packages-meta-ext-v1.json.gz: Unacceptable TLS certificate                                    
Failed to synchronize AUR database

``

Yes: Pamac fails to synchronise due unacceptable TLS certificate

Wait a few minutes and try again.

1 Like

I think this is temporary but nevertheless:

paru
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                               164.1 KiB   157 KiB/s 00:01 [#############################################] 100%
 extra                                             1866.6 KiB  19.4 MiB/s 00:00 [#############################################] 100%
 community                                            7.5 MiB  59.2 MiB/s 00:00 [#############################################] 100%
 multilib                                           168.9 KiB  8.25 MiB/s 00:00 [#############################################] 100%
 repo-ck is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libxnvctrl (525.60.11-2) breaks dependency 'libXNVCtrl.so=0-64' required by conky

Well that’s odd. libxnvctrl provides libXNVCtrl.so, not libXNVCtrl.so=0-64. However, it shouldn’t make any difference. Are you using pamac or pacman?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Installing libxnvctrl (525.60.11-2) breaks dependency ‘libXNVCtrl.so=0-64’ required by conky