[Unstable Update] March 2024 Edition

plasma-systemmonitor 6.0.1 has empty charts, I’m not sure but may be because of kquickcharts 6.0.0

These both work fine for me. Maybe just you

Intel iGPU ?

No, AMD iGPU

1 Like

Running manjaro gnome, getting the white screen telling me to contact my system administrator on boot after installing the llvm 17.0.6-2 packages.

2 Likes

When you see llvm packages, don’t update, as mostly rebuilds are needed … Arch Linux - Todo: LLVM 17

2 Likes

Mine has gone relatively smoothly. Osu stable is broken, because apparently the update moved me over to Wayland by default instead of X11. The fullscreen application launcher for Plasma has “broken” in that you cannot type the application name you want and press enter anymore, for whatever absurd reason.

Other than that, smooth sailing so far. I was expecting worse.

Hi,

Find my point of view and report, the up date transition between plasma 5 and plasma 6

Congratulations to the dev ! The transition is working well, Enjoy !

hola

Plasma 5 before Plasma 6 up date

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Celeron® J4105 CPU @ 1.50GHz
Memory: 7,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 600

[nls@ody ~]$ date -u
jeu. 07 mars 2024 08:58:32 UTC
[nls@ody ~]$ neofetch
██████████████████ ████████ nls@ody
██████████████████ ████████ -------
██████████████████ ████████ OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64
██████████████████ ████████ Host: ODYSSEY-X86J4125
████████ ████████ Kernel: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO
████████ ████████ ████████ Uptime: 49 secs
████████ ████████ ████████ Packages: 1302 (pacman)
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.2.26
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: Plasma 5.27.10
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: kwin
████████ ████████ ████████ WM Theme: plastik
████████ ████████ ████████ Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icons: oxygen [Plasma], oxygen [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: Intel Celeron J4105 (4) @ 2.500GHz
GPU: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]
Memory: 1057MiB / 7778MiB

[nls@ody ~]$ uname -a
Linux ody 6.6.19-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Mar 1 18:16:16 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[nls@ody ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for nls:
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core 152,1 KiB 814 KiB/s 00:00 [######################################################] 100%
extra 8,7 MiB 24,2 MiB/s 00:00 [######################################################] 100%
multilib 143,6 KiB 876 KiB/s 00:00 [######################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade…
:: Replace baloo5 with extra/baloo? [Y/n] y
:: Replace ksysguard with extra/plasma-systemmonitor? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kuserfeedback5 with extra/kuserfeedback? [Y/n] y
:: Replace plasma-wayland-session with extra/plasma-workspace? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: phonon-qt6-vlc will be installed before its phonon-qt6 dependency
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: xdg-desktop-portal-kde will be installed before its plasma-workspace dependency

Plasma 6 after the Plasma 5 up date

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.2
Kernel Version: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Celeron® J4105 CPU @ 1.50GHz
Memory: 7,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 600

[nls@ody ~]$ neofetch
██████████████████ ████████ nls@ody
██████████████████ ████████ -------
██████████████████ ████████ OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64
██████████████████ ████████ Host: ODYSSEY-X86J4125
████████ ████████ Kernel: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO
████████ ████████ ████████ Uptime: 10 mins
████████ ████████ ████████ Packages: 1399 (pacman)
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.2.26
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: Plasma 6.0.1
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: kwin
████████ ████████ ████████ WM Theme: plastik
████████ ████████ ████████ Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icons: oxygen [Plasma], oxygen [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: Intel Celeron J4105 (4) @ 2.500GHz
GPU: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]
Memory: 1485MiB / 7778MiB

[nls@ody ~]$

I like :
_ Switch button to set the DE
_ New icon taskbar
_ Distance between the taskbar and the icon is now better

I dislike :
_ my taskbar is on the top screen, can’t access to the settings by doing enter edit mode…
see below the screenshot, the settings windows are superimpose
_ ksysguard no more present with plasma 6, replace with system monitor
_ on reboot no more mouse cursor, the mouse cursor is back by playing with the system settings

Don’t forget the plasma 6 schedule up date, next plasma 6 up date the 12 of March.

https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_6

Just updated my QEMU Plasma Minimal to Plasma 6. It went smoothly. I can’t test on hardware yet, still waiting for a computer to become free. But everything seems to work fine. The only issue I noted is the Host seems to be using more RAM, although the Client isn’t, so that would be QEMU itself.

1 Like

Only 2 things I noticed after update to plasma 6.
It defaulted to Wayland. I boot to X11.
I use variety for my wallpaper changer. I had to change the settings for where it was getting wallpapers from and change it to slideshow and set the time interval the wallpaper changes.

Btw this one works fine too: ttf-cascadia-code-nerd
And looks extremely well imho.

Somehow llvm and clang (and non-free’s mesa) updates got to Testing, I updated them, aaaaaand this is how I learned to stop worrying and loved the Plasma 6. A couple (3-4 actually) of not working widgets I can tolerate. What I don’t quite understand though is why kup widget is looking weird (anyone having the same?) and input method panel migrated to the system tray and became less handy to use than it was when it could be configured to accomodate 2 or more icons in a row on a panel.
And that’s basically are all my “complaints” so far. The rest like Octopi having basic Qt6 looks etc is so minor compared to the major version bump we witnessed that it doesn’t worth mentioning, really.

Updated to Plasma 6 on bare metal. (Intel CPU + Intel iGPU/Nvidia GPU), all working smoothly, but there were a couple quirks (250% scaling yay).

As mentioned by the Manjaro team, most gui/themes specific to Manjaro do not work:

• SDDM theme breaks entirely
  • Greeter does not show up in the settings
  • Breath plasma look and feel/Color scheme do work!
  • Manjaro KCM do not show in settings, but work fine as standalone

There are couple issues with SDDM for me:

• On X proper cursor does not show up (defaulting to KDE Classic)
  • On X HiDPI scaling did not work (even that I’ve had -dpi X11 setting set by KDE "Use Plasma Settings button) EDIT: For some reason I had hidpi set to false in /etc/sddm.conf (but it should not be the default)
  • On Wayland (with kwin as compositor), you need to set proper scaling with a variable (this was not the case with plasma 5/SDDM 0.20), but the cursor is still small

Here is sddm config generated by KDE:

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=plasma
User=

[General]
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff
Numlock=on
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorSize=
CursorTheme=Breeze_Light
Font=Noto Sans,10,-1,0,400,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1

[Users]
MaximumUid=60000
MinimumUid=1000

[X11]
ServerArguments=-dpi 240

Note that CursorSize is empty EDIT: Manually re-setting it in settings readded it to the config, but it did not solve the issue

Here is my wayland config:

[General]
DisplayServer=wayland
GreeterEnvironment=QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=layer-shell,QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=2.5

[Wayland]
CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --drm --no-lockscreen --no-global-shortcuts --locale1

KDE Quirks

• After updating my cursor theme was not set at all (invisible cursor), after enabling it in settings it’s fine. Note, that I used Light Breeze cursor theme before which still exists on Plasma 6
  • Some Kwin effects got disabled (like the one that conditionally changes opacity of the windows)
  • Some widgets had to be readded (stock weather widget being an example)

Aside from that everything else seems to be working fine I will do some more testing and edit this post if necessary.

So far so good, no timeshift needed so far

Some issues (nothing critical)
Manjaro-System-Monitor is lost
SDDM is completely broken
breath theme needed a bit of readjustment (basically remove all personalizations)

that’s all so far, i’ll keep testing it

1 Like

It shows here.
I must wonder if

• A is the cursor theme available, and not in HOME ?
  • B has the ‘apply plasma settings’ been clicked in the sddm kcm ?
  • C check the config file /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf as seen below
[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=
User=

[General]
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorSize=
CursorTheme=Colloid-cscs
Font=Noto Sans,10,-1,0,400,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1

[Users]
MaximumUid=60000
MinimumUid=1000

[X11]
ServerArguments=-dpi 144

Oh I see you got it. But I’ll leave this with the outline because you arent the only one to say something like that.

If you have Qt5 apps installed, make sure to have the following packages to retain their full integration with the new Qt6 desktop, including theme, cursor, fonts.

kwayland5
plasma5-integration
breeze5
oxygen5

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_6.0_Release_notes#Tars_that_need_Qt5_and_Qt6_build

5 Likes

vlc depends on qt5 and as mentioned in the other thread … you kinda need vlc… so…

Though I did remove all things oxygen (along with some other stuff).

Probably this is the same issue as on the old ksysguard that usually happens on hardware change (especially on AMD). For the old version, the fix was:

Copy the default “SystemLoad2.sgrd” file from /usr/share/ksysguard/ to ~/.local/share/ksysguard/.

The paths may be different now for the new version, so you need to look around.

On the topic of Plasma 6:
One of the cons of updating from unstable is that when I went back to testing, I cannot install anything, because of some broken dependencies (system wants to revert 2 packages back to qt-5, which I decline and thus update fails). It looks like Manjaro transition will take some time, so probably I need to go to unstable, but that comes with some risk.

In overall, I managed the first issues with sddm and the broken configs, so Plasma 6 works well. There are some bugs, but those are small and manageable. Knowing from experience, they will be quickly fixed. It’s even hard to pin-point some bugs, because some things behave a bit weirdly sometimes.

One of the small bugs is about moving launchers on the panel. It doesn’t work correctly, because you have to drag it very, very fast, otherwise some other launcher takes over the drag.
There is also no way of personalizing sounds, as it was before, so there is no startup sound anymore :frowning: .

However, in overall, the transition wasn’t so bad and Plasma 6 is an improvement, although a bit raw on the edges at the moment.

I have a question for you all. If I can’t update or install anything on testing and on unstable there is this llvm update that is also not recommended, what should I do aside waiting?

As always if you want to resync with a ‘lower’ branch (or in any other case you want to allow downgrades) you use pacman -Syuu.

PS.

This seemed to be the case on some previous boot for me, but cannot reproduce now.

Yeah, I’ve reset SDDM setting before applying them again in KDE kcm.

Issue with SDDM no respecting DPI settings might be related to SDDM 0.21 itself: sddm-0.21 HiDPI is not working · Issue #1886 · sddm/sddm · GitHub

Yeah, I know that there is a downgrade option, but it would surely break Plasma 6, so this isn’t a good idea. Usually there are no problems returning to testing, but this time there were too many basic changes.

Is there any manual intervention for this llvm and mesa related packages?

EDIT: It seems it is fixed now. According to this page:
https://archlinux.org/todo/llvm-17/

all rebuilds are complete and in Arch stable, so I should be fine updating it, I hope…