[Unstable Update] 2023-10-08 - GNOME 45

I edited my post above to provide more reasoning. This may only be temporary, we’ll see. The AUR maintainers apparently are having issues as well.

correct just mentioning it

can be deleted as it is normally part of the Arch Linux kernel.

Some packages from the the latest batch of updates in Unstable conflicts with sddm-breath-theme and kpeoplevcard which in turn is necessary for kdeconnect and other packages:

:: installing frameworkintegration5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'frameworkintegration' required by klassy
:: installing kwayland5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by klassy
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kpeople' required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing frameworkintegration5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'frameworkintegration' required by lightly-git
:: installing kwayland5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by lightly-git
:: installing plasma-framework5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by sddm-breath-theme

New KDE update comes today from the unstable branch.

I got the conflicting package kpeoplevcard:

resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kpeople' required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required by kpeoplevcard
  1. I removed kdeconnect which requires the dependency kpeoplevcard.
  2. Update ran fine without the conflict.

But I want to install kdeconnect again after update, but that fails because:

$ sudo pacman -S kdeconnect     
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "kpeople", a dependency of "kpeoplevcard"
warning: cannot resolve "kcontacts", a dependency of "kpeoplevcard"
warning: cannot resolve "kpeoplevcard", a dependency of "kdeconnect"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      kdeconnect

I checked kpeoplevcard, it looks quite outdated and was packaged by Manjaro team in 2020, this does not match Arch KDE packages in Manjaro unstable branch.

$ pacman -Si kpeoplevcard
Repository      : extra
Name            : kpeoplevcard
Version         : 0.1+r38.32d50a9-1
Description     : Library to expose vcards to KPeople
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://projects.kde.org/kpeoplevcard
Licenses        : LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : kpeoplevcard
Depends On      : kpeople  kcontacts
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 25,69 KiB
Installed Size  : 59,05 KiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Fr 15 Mai 2020 12:21:21 CEST
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

vs.

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/kpeoplevcard/

@Manjaro-Team
Can you remove kpeoplevcard from Manjaro repo and sync it with Arch repo?

Edit://

A solution is possible:
I manually install the kpeoplevcard package from the Arch repo to fix the issue. KDE connect runs flawlessly.

sddm-breath-theme dependency problem:

:: installing plasma-framework5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by sddm-breath-theme

Sadly I cannot say the same. After removing kdeconnect the update still doesn’t go through for me

Did you try:

1. Download it from the Arch repo.
  2. Run sudo pacman -U <package> to install it.
  3. Update (You need to ignore installing kpeoplevcard from the Manjaro repo)

I tried that and disabled updates for kpeoplevcard in /etc/pacman.conf. After that the following is printed upon sudo pacman -Syyu

Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht vorbereitet werden (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Installation von plasma-framework5 (5.111.0-1) verletzt Abhängigkeit »plasma-framework«, benötigt von sddm-breath-theme

You have the other problem, it has nothing to do with kpeoplevcard issue.

• sddm-breath-theme was packaged by Manjaro, not Arch.
  • plasma-framework5 was packaged by Arch.

This is why both do not match properly.
You wait for Manjaro team to maintain the package sddm-breath-theme

Can report the updating issues have been resolved. With kdeconnect as well, cheers

Having the same issue with updates and kdepeoplecard.I’ll give it awhile and see if the issue is taken care of if not i’ll follow the suggestion @Zesko gave.

I had 84 updates, now I have 96, but still I can´t update:

sudo pacman -Syu

error: failed to prepare transaction (unable to satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kparts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kparts" dependency needed by kmediaplayer
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kpeople" dependency needed by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kcontacts" dependency needed by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcoreaddons5 (5.111.0-1) breaks "kcoreaddons" dependency required by libmediawiki
:: installing knotifications5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "knotifications" dependency required by telepathy-kde-approve
:: installing kservice5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kservice" dependency required by telepathy-kde-approver
:: installing knotifyconfig5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "knotifyconfig" dependency required by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing ktexteditor5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "ktexteditor" dependency needed by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kpeople" dependency required by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing krunner5 (5.111.0-1) breaks "krunner" dependency needed by telepathy-kde-contact-runner
:: installing kidletime5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kidletime" dependency needed by telepathy-kde-integration-module
:: installing kactivities5 (5.111.0-1) breaks the "kactivities" dependency needed by telepathy-kde-integration-module

*I removed “sddm-maia-theme”

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

still can not install kdeconnect:

Synchronizing package databases...

Choose optional dependencies for kdeconnect:
1:  python-nautilus: Nautilus integration

Enter a selection (default=none): 

Resolving dependencies...
Warning: cannot resolve "kpeoplevcard", a dependency of "kdeconnect"
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- unable to satisfy dependency 'kpeoplevcard' required by kdeconnect

kpeoplevcard 0.1-2 is now available. Once your mirror(s) sync, the dependency will be satisfied.

1 Like

thanks, @Yochanan, looks like Indian servers are not in sync yet, manually switched to global repo.
The update has started now.

thanks for the fix

A post was split to a new topic: When shutting down PC, all mechanical hard-disks run down hard

• Just remove these packages from AUR.
    Or
  • Edit their PKGBUILDs to change all KDE dependency names and then build them.
1 Like

Thnaks, I was in doubt to remove all this things… done.
I have to remove “telepathy*”. Maybe I don´t need. Don´t know.
I have KDE installed but don´t used it. I use Xfce.

Maybe it was just my bad luck but I could not get the system to update unable to satisfy dependency ‘kpeoplevcard’ required by kdeconnect. I changed mirrors to worldwide and still no luck.I finally uninstalled kdeconnect and got the updates.Once it updated I reinstalled kdeconnect rebooted and no issues.