[Unstable Update] 2021-11-11 - Gnome 41.1, Xorg-Server 21.1, LxQt 1.0, Nvidia 470.86, Plasma 5.23.3

Hello community,

Another unstable branch update with some usual updates for you.

The long wait for Gnome 41 is over …

• Gnome 41 is maybe the biggest addition to this update
  • After a long time there is a new Xorg-Server release. 21.1 brings new features and might break support on Nvidia drivers. So let us know if you see any issues, before we drop them.
  • Finally there is the first stable release of LxQt!
  • Plasma got another point release: 5.23.3
  • With 470.86 the Nvidia driver for Keppler cards got additional fixes.
  • A lot of Python and Haskell updates got added
  • Other regular upstream updates

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, Gnome, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux44 4.4.291
  • linux49 4.9.289
  • linux414 4.14.254
  • linux419 4.19.216
  • linux54 5.4.158
  • linux510 5.10.78
  • linux513 5.13.19 [EOL]
  • linux514 5.14.17
  • linux515 5.15.1
  • linux510-rt 5.10.73_rt54
  • linux515-rt 5.15_rt17

Package Updates (Thu Nov 11 10:35:53 CET 2021)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

4 Likes

No issues in this update. All extensions are working fine (dash-to-dock needed to be installed from github using AUR). Gnome 41 is noticeably smoother than 40. Much needed refinements and smoothness.

Just one thing, the latest 5.14 and 5.15 kernels have broken sleep/hibernate for me. I have intel 8th gen CPU and AMD GPU. If anyone knows how to fix them, please tell me. I cant figure out whats wrong. Everything works fine on 5.10 LTS but not on latest kernels.

Also, if i sleep/hibernate within 5 mins of PC booting, it works fine. But after that, it breaks. I can reproduce it everytime

I’ve noticed that GDM 41 is acting a bit weird on my side. Even if the X11 session is selected, it will log into Wayland unless I click the x11 session before login. Means i have to repeat that at every reboot.
Need to see if I can find a bug report about that.

Me too - workaround is to uncomment “WaylandEnable=false” in /etc/gdm/custom.cfg

EDIT: repaired since latest gdm /libgdm update
( Sometimes the Wayland session is started when selecting the X11 session (#733) · Issues · GNOME / gdm · GitLab )

Why is that? 71-1 works fine for me.

Dont know, it was disabled (and showing not compatible) when i booted after installing the updates. So i installed the git version and rebooted and it worked fine.

Well, I lost video playing with that update.
Both in Firefox and in Edge, in wayland and in Xorg… And also in SMPlayer.
Also, Firefox and Thunderbird are freezing for 15 seconds every other minute.
I’m on Gnome with amdgpu.

Gnome 41 and all extensions are working perfectly for me too! :slight_smile:

Well, then create a new thread in #support with more details.

A post was split to a new topic: Tuxedo-keyboard 3.0.9 doesn’t build on linux510 and/or linux514

That’s alright, I am about to solve it.
I narrowed it down to pipewire.
During the update, it asked me if I wanted to replace pipewire-media-session by wireplumber. I said yes. That change broke the sound. I have no output devices, hence no video playing.

And what was the default option suggested for you? to replace or not?

The default has always been pipewire-media-session, but I think wireplumber will eventually replace it. So I went ahead with replacing it when asked during the update.
I think it also uninstalled manjaro-pipewire alongside pipewire-media-session. Basically, it just created a big mess.

I have reverted the change, cleaned house on config files and now everything is back in order, got output devices back (and the volume icon) and video playing is working anew.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tuxedo-keyboard 3.0.9 doesn’t build on linux510 and/or linux514

I’ve read several cases of unwanted Wayland switch following the Gnome 41 upgrade.

I hadn’t encountered anything similar, updating was transparent after reboot. I just made the update in TTY, and do not have any exotic setup in conf files.

My few extensions worked out of the box following 41, including Dash to Dock. No need to use the AUR version.

Hi, there is an issue with installing 5.15 realtime kernel. After installation in grub its recognized as normal 5.15. When both 5.15 and 5.15-rt are installed, the system hangs on boot (no 5.15_rt17-1 option in grub only 5.15.2-1), no difference it is installed via Pamac or Manjaro Settings Manager.

Installing linux515-rt (5.15_rt17-1)...
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Updating module dependencies...
Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515-rt.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.15.0-1-rt17-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515-rt.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.15.0-1-rt17-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful
Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-rt-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-rt-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-rt-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

linux514 got updated, but linux514-nvidia-470xx wasn’t bumped, so this combo is currently not bootable. Version magic doesn’t match.

Except 515 kernel series, the 470xx is missing. Seems our CI did not have that added yet @oberon

3 posts were split to a new topic: What driver do I use for nvidia gt430?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with latest manjaro-zsh-config update