[Unstable Update] 2019-01-13 - Kernels, Cinnamon, Systemd, Readline, KDE Frameworks, Python

unstable
update

Yes. Backup software.

you only need to backup root if you dont want to reinstall as sometimes things break beyond repair.use Timeshift

Halfway through gpg began making noise.

I have tested my system twice and runing the update from terminal breaks the system.

It is gpg making noise as it will not accept package signatures.

• boot to grub
  • edit the commandline to boot to CLI
    • press E then add 3 after the quiet keyword
  • login as root
  • execute the update

Success

Got kernel panic after update and reboot on unstable KDE. Something with code: bad RIP value and processors off.

fhdk’s method didn’t work for me. tried “3” “text” “simple”.

Loaded to usb live session, when in chroot window - simple run: pacman -Syuu
reboot and it works.

Good you solved it :slight_smile:

My case is different since I did not get kernel panic - I had to deal with gpg and signatures. I had to restore from backup and retry and only after eliminating loading X - by booting to the CLI using the mentioned method - only then did I succeed with the update.

My issue was gpg making noise - so your case is different.

@philm

Virtualbox was updated but kernel extramodules were not rebuilt, so no VMs start now.

local/linux414-virtualbox-host-modules 6.0.0-4 (linux414-extramodules)
local/linux419-virtualbox-host-modules 6.0.0-4 (linux419-extramodules)
local/virtualbox 6.0.2-1
local/virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.0.2-1

Virtualbox kernel version mismatch kernel 4.19

When is stable update coming out ?

When it’s stable :slight_smile:

I’m sorry I didn’t meant to offend anyone and sorry to be rude guys I love the devs here

another version for systemd
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-241-Linux-419-Sysctl

No. Not here. It’s unsafe. It’s called unstable and that’s what it is. While I imagine that it is appreciated to have unstable and testing users that are willing to TEST, this implies that they are willing to run into breakages and, ideally, help with fixing the problem (by exactly narrowing the issue down). I am a LONG time Linux user, but as I am not a tinkerer, I’m on stable. Even on stable I use to do a timeshift snapshot before every update.

If your intention is to learn and get your hands dirty, welcome, but accept that you are NOT safe on unstable. If you want it safe, use the stable branch.

@b_quest - @homfar
Nobody is safe here, there are sometimes problems with stable versions.
Therefore always have a backup ready for the rare emergency.

Data should always be backed up, operating system before updates.

But there are also very hard lucky ones who have never needed this :slight_smile:

Replace “hard” with “lucky” and you have my 100% agreement. :laughing:

I keep my abacus ready just in case. And my towel

Is that a sexual suggestion, that with the towel? :wink:

If something comes across wrong, it’s because of my translation program. :smiley:

deepl.com is not bad, I’d have been better off paying attention in english class, though.

This.

Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy … rings a bell (or a towel)?

The only sure thing is, we’re all gonna die.

OT off

Ooh, now you’re scaring me, a bit.

HHGTTG. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: