[Unstable Update] 2018-08-06 - Kernels, Python 3.7, Perl 5.28, LibreOffice

unstable
update

Smooth update. Got some orphans:

$ sudo pacman -Rsn $(pacman -Qqdt)
[sudo] password for mparillo: 
checking dependencies...

Packages (6) maia-cursor-theme-20180322-1  papirus-icon-theme-20180720-1  papirus-maia-icon-theme-20180728-1  illyria-wallpaper-1.4-1
             mhwd-nvidia-304xx-1:304.137-1  plasma5-theme-adaptabreath-0.1.5-1

have a problem with today’s update of kernel linux418-4.18.1-1 to linux418-4.18.2-1.
start up hangs at “Starting version 239”
msg “rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks”
“kthread starved for jiffies”
“RCU grace-period kthread dump”
Is the version number linux418-4.18.2-1 correct?

Yes 4.18.2 is our current release. For CPU stalls you can read-up here.

On unstable today (but it may have been any time in the last couple of weeks), I saw:

(40/49) upgrading linux417                                                                    [#######################################################] 100%
>>> NOTE, 4.17.19 is the last release of the 4.17.y kernel.
    It is now end-of-life.

It is recommend to move on to linux416-series.
    Use followed cmd to do that: 'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux418'

I wonder if there is a copy/paste error between the recommendation and the command.

It is a copy/paste error from my end. However, the cmd is right :wink:

The steam client update is a huge improvement for Proton.
In case of DBXV 2 - I tested one scene where I had frame drops from 60 to 50 before that. Now it runs constantly smooth on 60 fps.
Again thanks for the finding @ziabice and the quick fix @philm, you guys rock! :guitar:

Today I got some errors, but the upgrade seemed successful:

:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) manjaro-system-20180828-1

Total Download Size:   0.01 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.01 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 manjaro-system-20180828-1-any                                        14.1 KiB   611K/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                              [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                   [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                             [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                           [#######################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading manjaro-system                                                                [#######################################################] 100%
error: package 'nvidia-utils' was not found
error: package 'lib32-libnm-glib' was not found
error: package 'lib32-libnm-glib46' was not found
error: package 'lib32-curl' was not found
error: package 'lib32-libcurl-gnutls' was not found
error: package 'lib32-libcurl-compat' was not found
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) upower-0.99.8-1

Total Download Size:   0.13 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.60 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.02 MiB

upower-0.99.8-1-x86_64                                              132.6 KiB  1474K/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                              [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                   [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                             [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                           [#######################################################] 100%
(1/1) upgrading upower                                                                        [#######################################################] 100%
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Reloading device manager configuration...
(3/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

OK, have to double check the fix and make it more silent …

Thank you for your immediate response. You spoil us all.
And, I do not believe those errors are really that serious.
After a re-boot, I have not seen immediate breakage.

all good now, hopefully :wink:

Edit to add: Never mind, I see this has already been raised in today’s testing announcement.

I assume the failed to write cache for my font config is only a warning that I need to re-boot if I want to refresh my cache?

Packages (2) fontconfig-1:2.13.1-1  librsvg-2:2.44.2-1

Total Download Size:   1.81 MiB
Total Installed Size:  6.09 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.06 MiB

fontconfig-1:2.13.1-1-x86_64                                        871.8 KiB  1288K/s 00:01 [#######################################################] 100%
 librsvg-2:2.44.2-1-x86_64                                           980.1 KiB  2.43M/s 00:00 [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                                                                [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                                                              [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                                                   [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                                                             [#######################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking available disk space                                                           [#######################################################] 100%
(1/2) upgrading fontconfig                                                                    [#######################################################] 100%
Rebuilding fontconfig cache.../usr/share/fonts/100dpi: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/encodings/large: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/util: failed to write cache
 done.
(2/2) upgrading librsvg                                                                       [#######################################################] 100%
(1/2) Probing GDK-Pixbuf loader modules...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

$ plasmashell -v
plasmashell 5.13.5

So far, so good.

What gave me the idea to upgrade?

Just for a quick impression
I tried Xfce beta on Live CD. Theming is awesome but it consumes more memory and cause more termal tempt than my stable Xfce system and toucpad not working fully functionally.
System: Asus Zenbook UX410UQ
BTW is this right topic for Beta Releases?

Xfce beta discussion should be in one of the below threads. I don’t know which one would be better since people are still posting to the older one.

closed #59

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.