[Unstable Update] 2017-01-29 - QT 5.8, LibreOffice, NetworkManager, FF, TB, Manjaro Tools

unstable
update

Heads up: Today’s (Feb 6, 2017) unstable update of plymouth-1:0.9.2-1 breaks the existing Manjaro plymouth themes in the Manjaro repos as well as most in AUR. The only one I tried that still works properly after updating, is the Breeze theme in AUR, probably because it’s a rather simple one.

Either the themes need to be updated to work with the new plymouth version, or plymouth-1:0.9.2-1 needs to be held back until it is fixed. Either way I don’t recommend updating to it at this time.

Edit: Let me elaborate further. The update to plymouth is affecting the timing within the themes so that the background image no longer stays in sync with the animations in the foreground. The background imgage finishes and goes offscreen while the animation is still playing in the foreground. It doesn’t look good at all. As mentioned, I tried several plymouth themes with the same result. The only one I tried that didn’t exhibit this was the breeze plymouth theme from AUR. I believe this is because it’s a very simple theme against a black background with no background image, just a black screen.

So something has changed with this plymouth update that I don’t know how to fix. Downgrading back to the older version still in testing restores the plymouth animations to their prior expected state.

I have the defaults, and the flickering during boot was noticeable in a VM, but once I got to the SDDM login, all seemed good.

Edit: On real HW, I saw a brief TPM error message. It was too fast to read on startup, but on the way down I thought it was something like TPM Error (7) reading a PCR value.

with the latest plasma updates everything is working fine with no problems…
I have noticed that NetworkManager-wait-online.service was giving me some delays at boot so I just disable it.

systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

I just hope that it was that the problem because it was very weird problem.

Description of the problem

I have like 4 programs running at start up

Clementive
Vivaldi
Cairo-Dock
Steam

At boot Vivaldi was running and then after 1 minute delay(everything freeze) was closing by itself and then everything else was running ok,
I have disabled NetworkManager-wait-online.service and two boots so far no problem at all.

Well, we have noticed that also and have downgraded it again … Please: sudo pacman -Syyuu

Thanks @philm !!!

Any specific reason why you choose NVIDIA Drivers 375.39 instead of 378.13 ?

Linux x86_64/AMD64/EM64T
Latest Long Lived Branch version: 375.39
Latest Short Lived Branch version: 378.13
Latest Legacy GPU version (340.xx series): 340.102
Latest Legacy GPU version (304.xx series): 304.135
Latest Legacy GPU Version (71.86.xx series): 71.86.15
Latest Legacy GPU Version (96.43.xx series): 96.43.23
Latest Legacy GPU Version (173.14.xx series): 173.14.39

Manjaro following Long Lived Branch.
Arch following Short Lived Branch.

Reference https://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Nvidia-utils 378.13 update
Nvidia-ck will not install for linux-ck, linux-lts-ck, et al

With today’s unstable updates, I got:

xorg-server: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so exists in filesystem

So, I:

$ sudo cp  /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so  /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.old
$ sudo rm  /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

But, now I got the warning:

libGl and libglx symlinks are invalid!
Falling back to default...
libGl: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1.2.0'
libGLESv1: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGLESv1_CM.so.1.1.0'
libGLESv2: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0'
libEGL: '/usr/lib/mesa/libEGL.so.1.0.0'
warning: could not find '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so'!

Was that generally the right thing to do?

[unstable] xorg-server libglx.so file conflict during mesa 17.0 update

The right thing is to not remove the libglx.so file and just wait for a fixed update. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

When I updated I ran into the same problem, however, I had about a dozen packages in the queue including mesa. So I just pinned the xorg updates, which allowed me to update everything else. Here’s the error:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files) xorg-server: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so exists in filesystem Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Whenever updates fail and you get an error message, it’s a good idea to take note and report it, but it’s generally never a good idea to manually intervene. Nine times out of ten the manual intervention won’t work, you’ll break something, and even if by some miracle it does install and work, it may prevent the future fixed update from succeeding.

At this point your best solution to fix your system is to look in your pacman package cache @ /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ and look for the previous two xorg packages, xorg-server and xorg-common and reinstall them. You may have to force install them.

I hope this helps.

[unstable] xorg-server libglx.so file conflict during mesa 17.0 update

The file it stomped was actually a sym link:

File: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

The sym link was created by the mhwd-gpu utility and not owned by any package so you can probably just relink it. Note that your link won’t be the same as mine unless you’re using the nvidia driver.

Update breaks with:

ncurses: /usr/share/terminfo/d/dvtm exists in filesystem
ncurses: /usr/share/terminfo/d/dvtm-256color exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

The two files belong to the dvtm package (community repository), which was installed on my system. Why ncurses is not simply having dvtm as a dependency? Anyway. I uninstalled dvtm and the update works.

well with these mhwd updates my plasma is dead…
I get also an error on steam OPENGL GLX Extension not supported by display

I have tried

sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia (not working)
reinstall nvidia drivers again (not working)

I guess is time to visit the testing repo :stuck_out_tongue:

ps: I have forced the updates when I had errors…
pacman -Syyu --force

Advice is not to force update or delete symlink.

Seems @philm has resolved this, just wait for your unstable to sync and update again.

code Aktualisiere networkmanager [##########################################################################################################] 100%
Warnung: Verzeichnis-Berechtigungen unterscheiden sich für /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
Dateisystem: 755 Paket: 700
(23/40) Aktualisiere nfs-utils [##########################################################################################################] 100%
Warnung: Verzeichnis-Berechtigungen unterscheiden sich für /usr/share/doc/nfs-utils/
Dateisystem: 644 Paket: 755[/code]

Getting this error during update.

edit: after a reboot, everything seems to work though