[Unstable Update] 2017-01-14 - kernels, ndiswrapper, r8168, rt3562sta, vhba

Thus is the difference between a bleeding edge rolling release distro and a leading edge rolling release distro. One of the many reasons I like Manjaro and distro hopping for me is now dead.

I noticed that unstable repos were updated today with KDE Frameworks 5.30, amongst other packages, is there normally an announcement for something like this, or is this simply a matter of no Phil no announcement?

Not complaining either way, just curious.

Announcement in unstable or testing are not as regular as stable.

No problems with today’s unstable update on KDE.

It’s just that on unstable branch packages are coming in several times a day, or at least daily while for the testing and stable snapshots we collect a nice pile and then decide when is a good moment to move these piles from A to B …
KDE frameworks is indeed worth mentioning though, you are right! :slight_smile: - also I still have to update breeze-maia-icon-themes:sunglasses:

Should you have any more comments on these updates, please make them in today’s Testing Update announcement. Thank you! :slight_smile:

This helps with system reliability.
You are sure that you are using a really stable system and the updates have gone through common usage before they are released into the stable repository.

I’d rather wait for updates than compile the latest kernel.
I had a script for this, but it left the system unstable. :joy:
Kernels released on Sunday and commits made on Monday.
Very good @oberon :wink:

A bunch of LXQT updates just arrived and I forwarded them straight to testing, because at the same time also some Deepin packages arrived and I wanted to keep those together with the other big Deepin update. So please comment there in case something comes up with those…

I have a small problem with these unstable updates since a few weeks. When an update to the actual running kernel version is included, the updating of grub within the pacman update routine doesn’t recognize foreign operating systems like windows. Within the grub menu there are only the entries of the installed linux kernel versions. And it’s not successfull to run update-grub again. It’s necessary to reboot the system and to run update-grub again after this reboot.

This problem exists since the updating of grub is done at the end of the pacman routine and not after every single kernel version update package.

Command grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Make grub recognize the image of the installed kernel :wink:
Others commands GRUB Manual

It recognizes the installed kernels, but after the update of the actual running kernel it doesn’t detect if there are any other operating systems present. It needs a reboot to detect them again. Seems that the utility os-prober isn’t loaded or doesn’t make its work correct.

Previous this was no problem, as the updating of grub was called after each new kernel version package was installed. It’s a new problem since this is part of the after-install actions. (It’s of course usefull in the case of more than one installed and updated kernel.)

sudo update-grub

@werry Problems with dual boot then? Using the Windows and Manjaro?
It depends on how it was done.
Otherwise it’s a problem of the grub.

Or sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
To detect the kernel image installed.
This is not the case.

I have experienced my W8.1 bootloader going missing from grub menu after a kernel installation, and sudo update-grub has worked to remedy for me.

@sueridgepipe I understand, I’m not have dual boot here.
But it might helps him @werry.

As I said before, the update of grub with recognizing other operating systems (like Windows) is here in these cases only successful after a reboot (!). (To execute update-grub or grub-mkconfig with sudo is self-evident, I think.)

And I know how to repair the grub menu (with a reboot and running update-grub again). But I liked to point to this behaviour, because it exists since changing the pacman routine of installation of updated packages. If it is a general problem (and not only mine), it will exists later too, when user are updating their dual-boot systems in the stable (updates). And eventually they are a little bit confused, when the grub menu entries for windows are lost.

How exactly is your multi-boot set up? Just one windows and one manjaro install?

With you @oberon
The way he did the dual boot would be important him reporting.