[Unstable Update] 2017-01-14 - kernels, ndiswrapper, r8168, rt3562sta, vhba

unstable
update

Just rebuilt linux44 and linux49 with their next point release patches and updated some extramodules.
New versions:
ndiswrapper 1.61
r8168 8.043.02
rt3562sta 2.4.1.1_r4
vhba-module 20161009

Thank you for your feedback as always! :slight_smile:

kernels versions 4.9.3 and 4.4.42?

^ exactly. :slight_smile:

Updating here :wink:

Linux44 and 49 runs as they should within VirtualBox.

True, I noticed that since yesterday guest-additions seem to work great.
If you fail to notice and install the guest-additions CD on top of it you end up with no boot :grin:…

I installed the guest-additions 2 weeks ago with pacman and it worked. The guest-additions from the virtual CD doesn’t work with Manjaro but i don’t know why.

Those two sentences seem internally inconsistent.

Guest addons work perfectly for me. What are your symptoms of not working?

[quote=“jsamyth, post:8, topic:15644”]
Those two sentences seem internally inconsistent.
[/quote] True, sorry, I got that wrong. I think the updated xorg switched to full hd which made me think guest-additions were somehow working, they are not.

I’m on ubuntu host, vbox 5.0.30 + extentions, the guest has linux49-virtual-guest-modules 5.1.12-3 and virtualbox-guest-utils 5.1.12-2 installed. Will update my host VB first.

Yeah, its hard to say what works and what doesn’t if you mix versions. 5.0 had a lot of bugs.

resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: xorg-server and xf86-input-acecad are in conflict (X-ABI-XINPUT_VERSION). Remove xf86-input-acecad? [y/N] y
:: xorg-server and xf86-input-joystick are in conflict (X-ABI-XINPUT_VERSION). Remove xf86-input-joystick? [y/N] y

So far so good

All looks fine here :slight_smile: . Using kernel 4.9.3 on main machine.

ndiswrapper-utils had a mixed up pkgrel, I just corrected it from -3.0 to -1.
You’ll see a message about your local version being newer than extra if you have it already installed - so please just downgrade it with sudo pacman -Syuu or by reinstalling with sudo pacman -S ndiswrapper-utils

Note @oberon

New versions of kernels second kernel.org

4.4.43 long term released today
Changelog

4.8.17 now EOL (End Of Life) -> released in day 9 of january
Changelog

4.9.4 released today
Changelog

And nothing of update in stable repository. :joy::joy:
Updates are accumulating and are considered cumulative updates.

So what?

Its called STABLE for a reason.

If you want to run kernel.org kernels the day of release you are in the wrong place, on the wrong distro, and out of your mind.

I know. They are already building… - on my computer it takes about 90 minutes per kernel per arch … :wink:
Also, look: https://github.com/manjaro/packages-extra/commits/master …

There have been a lot of big package updates recently, so they are in unstable and testing for a while for good reasons I think.
Maybe in a few days we will think of the next stable update - maybe we take a little more time - :slight_smile: If you’re as impatient as I am :laughing: and you don’t mind some possible troubles with packages, why don’t you just switch to testing or unstable?

But they are all in unstable repository.

If you must have them now then simply switch.

Better yet setup a Virtualbox Manjaro environment for unstable, that is what I’ve done. Got one for testing environment also, which I cloned from unstable VM and changed the pacman repo.

[2017-01-13 17:06] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>>  `echo "blacklist r8169" > /etc/modprobe.d/r8169_blacklist.conf`
[2017-01-13 17:06] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>> The module r8168 conflicts with r8169. You can blacklist it with:
[2017-01-13 17:06] [ALPM] installed linux49-r8168 (8.040.00-2)

Is there any reason to not use r8169 ?

Usually when you see blacklist recommendations it is because there is a better one that falls alphabetically later, but the half-assed one that almost works jumps in first. (But I don’t know the specifics of this instance).

@oberon @jsamyth @sueridgepipe
The last stable update was January 4 and not at the turn of the year as I had said. I’ve already corrected :wink:
Guys, I was just kidding, but I have Manjaro in 3 repositories. :wink:
Unstable, Testing and Stable. I still use Arch Linux stable, Debian Testing, Mint Romeo 18.1 and BSD.
But it is remarkable that the team’s desire is to accumulate updates and release when it is actually stable.
The rolling release model is a faster model of upgrades.
But the Manjaro team is doing a great job. :wink: