[unstable] Manjaro-architect beta testing

Moving pacman configuration to preparation menu as you suggested would make sense

I have used it a lot as well and i like your suggested menus. Does look a little easier to deal with.

This structure makes a lot of sense to me after experimenting with a few installs over the last week or so.

On another note, is there somewhere in the workflow where I should be adding/editing subvolumes for btrfs?

Sorry for the delay.

Used latest unstable repo version for install, 0.7.4.r342.

VM install, format /dev/sdd1 with btrfs, mounted with option compress=lzo, openrc, linux49, generated fstab using device UUID, Manjaro LxQt DE, reboot.

Sorry, hard to read…

$ cat /proc/mounts | grep sdd1
/dev/sdd1 / btrfs rw,relatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

Looks fine.

Generated fstab.

$ cat /etc/fstab
# /dev/sdd1
UUID=f11dfc0e-b75a-421d-be46-34823c0b4118       /               btrfs           rw,relatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/  0 0

# /dev/sda1
UUID=3D80-9D0D          /boot/efi       vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro      0 0

# /dev/sda3
UUID=96bb786a-fdd6-4501-aab4-81eb38bb5e21       none            swap            defaults        0 0

Did you generate your fstab using a different option than device UUID?

I’ll try a bare metal install next to see if that changes anything.

Did the same install on my bare metal testing machine and looks like the fstab was not created correctly.

Completed the install, exit manjaro-architect, then

$ sudo mount /dev/sdb15 /manjaro

$ cat /manjaro/etc/fstab
# /dev/sdb15
UUID=136b0eed-3e08-489e-bce2-85ef0085e805       /               btrfs           rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/       0 0

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=D7A4-24B9          /boot/efi       vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro      0 0

# /dev/sdb2
UUID=47f69954-a80d-41b8-b088-ea98db3ddef4       none            swap            defaults        0 0

No compress=lzo here.

From the .m-a.log

$ cat /manjaro/.m-a.log | grep mount
03/08/17 18:05:16 already mounted:
03/08/17 18:05:33 mount /dev/sdb15 as mkfs.btrfs -f.
03/08/17 18:05:33 create mountpoint /mnt
03/08/17 18:05:39 mount /dev/sdb15 compress=lzo
$ cat .m-a.log | grep fstab
03/08/17 18:07:45 generate_fstab

Not sure why working on one but not the other, the already mounted log message indicative of anything?

Unfortunately subvolume creation is not yet implemented. You need to mount partitions manually to use subvolumes.

After mounting partitions with the mount menu, open another terminal and create subvolumes like this:

btrfs subvolume create /mnt/@
btrfs subvolume create /mnt/@home
btrfs subvolume create /mnt/@snapshots

Umount the root

umount /mnt

mount the subvolumes

mkdir -p /mnt/{home,.snapshots} 
  mount -o $(cat /tmp/.mount_options),subvol=@ /mnt
  mount -o $(cat /tmp/.mount_options),subvol=@home /mnt/home
   mount -o $(cat /tmp/.mount_options),subvol=@ snapshots /mnt/.snapshots 

Then proceed as usual

Mkinitcpio.conf and grub should get configured for btrfs automatically

Brilliant! I had it down in the old cli installer. Thank you so much for your crystal clear instructions.

Please keep up the great work, guys! :slight_smile:

Caution, I haven’t actually tested this

Gives me something to look forward to on my next couple of days off :wink:

Firstly, thank you! So in bare metal do you mount in fstab with compress=lzo but cat /proc/mounts shows it mounted without this option?

Last time I just installed and checked the fstab directly after install finished, mounting the install partition from the host system, and there was no compress=lzo option generated.

This time I’ll repeat the same openrc linux49 installation and check how /mnt is mounted whilst the installer is running.

Directly after btrfs partition format and mount, and it seems correct

$ cat /proc/mounts | grep sdb15
/dev/sdb15 / btrfs rw,relatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

Install linux49 openrc base packages and generate fstab by device UUID using

fstabgen -U -p

Generates this

$ cat /mnt/etc/fstab
# /dev/sdb15
UUID=db3b5e86-c47c-4a71-9c16-8efd162e79ae       /               btrfs           rw,relatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/       0 0

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=D7A4-24B9          /boot/efi       vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro      0 0

# /dev/sdb2
UUID=47f69954-a80d-41b8-b088-ea98db3ddef4       none            swap            defaults        0 0

Which looks fine.

Re-checking after each installation step and no change, so it is not being clobbered along the way.

Re-boot and log into new Manjaro LxQt OpenRC system, from a terminal

$ cat /proc/mounts | grep sdb15
/dev/sdb15 / btrfs rw,relatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

I was distracted during the first install, doing 3 things at once, took my time this install and btrfs partition mounts with the correct compress-lzo option on my bare metal system.

Would the kernel version have an effect on this?

Okay, testing bspwm edition I found that the openrc support of the installer is much lacking

• console keymap and font is not set
  • locales are generated but not set

Possibly some other stuff too. It is less clear in the editions with displaymanager and desktop environment, but easily seen with bspwm.

Also, some kind of bug when choosing bash as shell.

0.8 released. New announcement and thread here: Manjaro-architect 0.8

I wanted to post some feedback earlier, but I kept forgetting until now…

So, about two weeks ago I installed manjaro on an old machine using architect. This laptop has a Pentium M at 1.2Ghz, 512MB of RAM and a 40GB spinning drive. It doesn’t boot from USB and the DVD stopped working a long time ago. So I decided to install manjaro through my desktop, in a VM, using a raw vmdk image of the whole drive. It worked!

I installed only the basic system. After I installed the drive back into the laptop and rebooted, I had to deal with installed VBox modules. Gfx acceleration also wasn’t working and the network (cable to my desktop) had to be configured from scratch. I managed to solve all issues, installed some basic software (i3, cmus, mplayer, links, mc, xfreerdp, xrdp, network applet, clipit, octopi without notifier, samba) and now i can remotely work on my desktop at my home (sometimes I prefer to sit elsewhere other than the desk).

So, a BIG THANKS to all you working and testing this awesome piece of software. I missed this small and old laptop - has the perfect size.

Cheers and keep up the good work,