unresponsive mpv after 19-08-13 stable update

After the update smplayer ignores stop button (space), forward buttons (arrows), it doesn't pause when I click on the UI button with a mouse, it ignores the progress bar (the time line?). Also, now there is a delay (few seconds) on closing the smplayer or stopping it.
Another mpv front-end (baka-player) has the same issues.

that's smplayer log (I press pause 2 times and then fastforward 2 times):

[19:19:03:532] Core::play_or_pause
[19:19:03:532] Core::pause: current state: "Playing"
[19:19:03:532] PlayerProcess::writeToStdin: set pause yes
[19:19:03:532] WARNING: QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Write', disabling...
[19:19:03:712] Core::play_or_pause
[19:19:03:712] Core::pause: current state: "Playing"
[19:19:03:712] PlayerProcess::writeToStdin: set pause yes
[19:19:03:712] WARNING: QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Write', disabling...
[19:19:04:042] Core::sforward
[19:19:04:042] Core::seek: 4
[19:19:04:042] PlayerProcess::writeToStdin: seek 4 relative exact
[19:19:04:042] WARNING: QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Write', disabling...
[19:19:04:142] Core::sforward
[19:19:04:142] Core::seek: 4
[19:19:04:142] PlayerProcess::writeToStdin: seek 4 relative exact
[19:19:04:142] WARNING: QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Write', disabling...

when I click the STOP button smplayer waits for mpv response for a few seconds then kills it, the same with closing window - smplayer has to kill mpv.
the smplayer log after I press STOP button:

[19:25:27:622] Core::stop: state: "Playing"
[19:25:27:622] Core::stopMplayer
[19:25:27:622] PlayerProcess::writeToStdin: quit 0
[19:25:27:622] Core::stopMplayer: Waiting mplayer to finish...
[19:25:32:623] WARNING: Core::stopMplayer: process didn't finish. Killing it...
[19:25:32:623] Core::stopMplayer: Finished.
[19:25:32:623] MplayerWindow::setLogoVisible: true
[19:25:32:623] DefaultGui::disableActionsOnStop
[19:25:32:623] BaseGui::disableActionsOnStop
[19:25:32:626] WARNING: QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Write', disabling...
[19:25:32:637] MPVProcess::gotError: 1
[19:25:32:637] MplayerLayer::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::setAutoHideCursor: 0
[19:25:32:637] Screen::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::setAutoHideCursor: 0
[19:25:32:637] BaseGui::showErrorFromMplayer
[19:25:32:637] BaseGui::showErrorFromMplayer: not displaying error dialog
[19:25:32:637] Playlist::playerFailed
[19:25:32:637] MyProcess::procFinished
[19:25:32:637] MyProcess::procFinished: Bytes available:  0
[19:25:32:637] MPVProcess::processFinished: exitCode: 9, status: 1
[19:25:32:637] MplayerLayer::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::setAutoHideCursor: 0
[19:25:32:637] Screen::playingStopped
[19:25:32:637] Screen::setAutoHideCursor: 0
[19:25:32:638] Core::processFinished
[19:25:32:638] Core::processFinished: we_are_restarting: 0
[19:25:32:638] Core::processFinished: play has finished!
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::displayState: "Stopped"
[19:25:32:638] DefaultGui::togglePlayAction
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::togglePlayAction
[19:25:32:638] StateWidget::watchState: 0
[19:25:32:638] Core::processFinished: exit_code: 9
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::displayState: "Stopped"
[19:25:32:638] DefaultGui::togglePlayAction
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::togglePlayAction
[19:25:32:638] StateWidget::watchState: 0
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::showExitCodeFromMplayer: 9
[19:25:32:638] BaseGui::showExitCodeFromMplayer: not displaying error dialog
[19:25:32:638] Playlist::playerFinishedWithError: 9
[19:25:32:639] BaseGui::checkStayOnTop
[19:25:32:640] BaseGui::checkStayOnTop
[19:25:36:507] BaseGui::showLog

If I switch smplayer from mpv to mplayer - it works fine.

inxi:

System:
  Host: r-pc Kernel: 5.2.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4200M bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 19963 
  Speed: 840 MHz min/max: 800/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 799 
  3: 798 4: 798 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.4 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.8-1-MANJARO 
Info:
  Processes: 220 Uptime: 3h 50m Memory: 5.58 GiB used: 3.11 GiB (55.7%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.7 inxi: 3.0.35 

Hi @SneakyGiraffe

If you happen to try plain mpv, I'd like to know if it works.

I do subtitling, and use plain mpv a lot for checking subtitles,
so don't want to do this upgrade unless or until plain mpv works.

Gnome 3.32, kernel 4.19, wayland, i7-4600U, Intel graphics, update done, rebooted. Both plain mpv and through smplayer work fine (pause, fw, bw, interface, quit) no delays. Didn't test on any huge files though.
Oh, and I didn't update smplayer but installed it, since I didn't have it before.

1 Like

hmmm, plain mpv works fine.
Strange, smplayer didn't receive an update at this time, but mpv did. And Baka-player has the same issue.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Looking at your log, I'd guess mpv is not listening on the socket where it used to, so neither SMplayer nor Baka can talk to it the way they expect.