Unlock after long time locked

Ok then, it’s not that. :stuck_out_tongue:
No clue then. Maybe try setting password again with passwd… Also, as already suggested, add new user and copy stuff over.

Just tried this and the output was something in the line of “password not different”, as can be seen below:

╰─➤  passwd
Changing password for mirdarthos.
Current password: 
New password: 
Retype new password: 
The password has not been changed.
New password: 
Retype new password:

Have also created a new user. The sane thing seems to happen to it. In fact, it happened on the first login try. So I’m relatively certain whatever it is, it’s system wide and not limited to my user only.

Do you, perhaps, know what is the command for getting the last reason for the session ending? I just want to see if there’s something that might give me a clue.

But as things stand now, I’m reinstalling over the weekend…

UPDATE:

OK, so I’ve decided that I’ll be reinstalling it this weekend if I can’t fix it tonight. Which is a quite possibility.

However, something else that might give someone a clue as to what’s happening occurred a bit ealier:
I was unable to sudo in a currently logged in session, reaffirming my belief that it’s got something to do with thee authentication mechanism. I don’t know, I might be wrong about that, but that is my reasoning of what and why.

You can always search with journalctl.

Btw, there are some updates now and I see ‘shadow’ among them. Check if it fixes anything by mistake. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do not replace /etc/shadow with /etc/shadow.panew. Delete the .pacnew file.

There wasn’t any shadow.pacnew just package ‘shadow’. And hopefully no one is stupid enough to blindly replace their own. Actually I don’t see any reason why there should ever be shadow.pacnew, but if my memory is right that actually happened some time ago…

1 Like

Hi, just want to say same problem exists for me - fresh install, distro downloaded today.
What may or may not be related: I use keyboard with 2 languages. I have an empty password so I just press enter. Automatic logon is disabled
Hope it’s not somehow related to KDE attempts to fix insecurities in Dolphin/Kate.

Same problem here after last big update.
Kernel: 5.8.6-1-MANJARO
DE: Plasma
WM: KWin

1 Like

I also have the same problem. Not entirely sure if it was before or after the last update.
Exactly the same as the person above.

1 Like

Same problem here randomly on PC and laptop.

1 Like

Hi all,

Well, it’s been some time since I was here last time. Reason being, I ended up doing a reinstall and something went wrong causing a damaged partition table on my data drive. Luckily, from what I am able gather The partition table along with the data has been recovered. I would have attempted it myself, if I had the required space.But I don’t, so I didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Since reinstalling it hasn’t happened again. But reading @MangyRaptor’s reply

makes me think it’s only a matter of time. But I am glad there is someone else to have this problem as well, because that makes it a lot less likely that it was somehow caused by me, and for that I’m glad.It also means there are more people that can explain the problem, quite possibly better than me.

I will keep watch to see if this happens again and report accordingly.

(BTW @MangyRaptor, I absolutely love your username.)

1 Like

Had the same problem, after fresh install yesterday.
I was able to work around it by logging in to a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F2) with the same credentials,
then deleting /etc/passwd- (note the trailing dash!!), which seems to be a backup file of /etc/passwd.
So I actually had both /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd-, and deleted the latter one. After that I could login via the graphical login screen again.
I deleted a couple other backup files afterwards (sudo rm /etc/*-), but that was not required to get the login working again.

The same problem, I still did’t find a solution… :frowning:

Intel NUC i5
Last version of Manjaro and related kernel

Desktop Environment: KDE

CPU: Intel Core i5-8259U

GPU: Mesa Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655

Kernel: 5.8.11

I have this issue for a couple of weeks now, even with the latest stable version of Manjaro, on a clean install.

If your account gets locked by this bug and you don’t have time to wait the default 10 minute lock period: you can unlock it running faillock --user username --reset on another TTY console with the root user.

Kernel: 5.8.11-1-MANJARO
gdm 3.36.3-6
gnome-session 3.36.0-1
pam 1.4.0-3
pambase 20200721.1-2

1 Like

Got exactly same issue here.

Running the i3 community version, installed about 1 month ago.

Have the same issue. Can’t login after long time locked

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.8.16-2-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 7,2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD RENOIR

Don’t want to necro-post, but I am having this exact same issue.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit

Just so that it’s on record. I was unable to find the problem, and it drove me up the walls.

So I reinstalled everything. I didn’t want to. Yes, it was a schlep. No, I didn’t like it.

However, everything seems normal and fine now. I don’t really know how else to put this, but everything feels “fresh”. (Don’t know how else to put it.)

Crumbs! Well, anyway, keep a well backup solution, for your system and your /home.