Uninstalling a Desktop Environment

I have installed both Gnome and KDE on 1 install of Manjaro, i am sick of Gnome and want to delete it, how do i do this? (Sorry for short post not sure what to say tbh)

2 Likes

I found this reply:

sudo pacman -Rsn gnome gnome-extra gdm - This will remove GNOME, GNOME software and the GDM login manager leaving you with only a command line interface. You can leave GDM installed if you want to use it as a display manager. This would make it easier.

sudo systemctl disable gdm - If you removed GDM also disabled it with systemctl.

Run these commands while GNOME is not running from inside another TTY ( CTRL+ALT+F1-12 ). Restart the system after doing this.

Will this effect KDE

Removing Gnome packages should not affect KDE, however I did not do this myself, I just searched for possible solutions in similar situations. :man_shrugging:t4:

Here is another topic on changing the environment:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/change-from-gnome-to-xfce-and-back/

I will run your commands, besides i have some backups from yesterday if it goes wrong

1 Like

Error whilst running first command checking dependencies... error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) :: removing networkmanager breaks dependency 'networkmanager' required by networkmanager-qt

Okay, it's getting complicated.
My advice is to do timeshift (set it to include /home).
Then do a fresh install.

If you're not adept, the chances of success are slim. If you ARE adept, the chances of success still may not weigh out the benefit of a few hours freshly installing and farming in your relevant hidden KDE stuff from a timeshift.

1 Like

Oh lol, id rather just have a spare DE installed than that

You could try removing the packages not recursively :
sudo pacman -Rn gnome gnome-extra gdm

This will keep dependencies, even if not used by other packages, but at least it should not remove too much.

2 Likes

When I tried this, I did it in two steps:

Step 1: I removed the gnome environment, using the graphical pamac application. (I used the graphical application, as it better helped me visualize what I was doing.)

There are three groups that contain most of Gnome:

• Gnome
  • Gnome-Extra
  • Gnome-Shell-Extensions

You can safely remove everything in Gnome-Extra and Gnome-Shell Extensions.

In the gnome group, you can safely remove everything except for:

• gnome-themes-extra
  • network-manager
  • anything that starts with gvfs

Step 2: Remove "Orphan" packages.
Step one will probably still leave behind packages that are "orphaned" -- or, no longer needed by any application.

These can gotten rid of by the command

pamac remove -o

Run this a few times -- until you get the response, "Nothing to do."
This should get rid of most of the gnome desktop environment.

2 Likes

If you're a Newb who hasn't had Manjaro installed for long there is not much to be gained by this. Reinstalling is the cleanest option. For those that know what they're doing, fly atter. For newbies, it's best to stick to the Calamares full install routine.

1 Like

This is good advice. I tried for several days to sort out similar issues after installing a few desktops and having a few 'glitches'. It's complicated, and the reason for advice about avoiding it, or at least creating new users if you do it.

With a fresh USB install being only a few minutes, then it's mostly a matter of copying config files back from your backups as you re-install.

If it isn't glitchy, then you can just leave the spare desktop installed and ignore it, just remove some of the bigger packages that don't break it.

If ever you do decide to try out a new desktop, then a full backup is in order to take you ALL the way back if you change your mind. Better that than shuffling around in the rubble trying to pick up the pieces.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by