Unified pamac install command?

I don't like how pamac install only uses the manjaro repos.
I want my pamac install to first search the manjaro repos and then the AUR (if it didn't find anything in the repos), and then finally ask for my confirmation (obviously). I know the command pamac build exists, but I want pamac install to attempt both.

do you really want to be presented with both aur and repo packages every time you want to install something? how long do you think before you mistakenly install an aur package instead of the intended manjaro package?

yay does both btw. for example, yay pamac searches both aur and manjaro repo's and lets you pick which one you want.

~ >>> yay pamac                                                                                                                                                                                               [130]
12 aur/pamac-qt-git r80.f23e1c8.2019.07.31-1 (+0 0.00%) 
    A Qt5 frontend for libpamac - git version
11 aur/pamac-cli 8.0.3-2 (+2 0.15%) (Installed: 8.0.3-5)
    Pamac cli frontend for libalpm
10 aur/pamac-aur-git 8.0.3.r3.gc26906f-1 (+12 0.00%) 
    A Gtk3 frontend for libalpm - git version
9 aur/pamac-aur-tray-appindicator-git 8.0.3.r3.gc26906f-1 (+12 0.00%) 
    Tray icon using appindicator which fits better in KDE - git version
8 aur/pamac-classic 7.0.1-1 (+13 1.71%) 
    A Gtk3 frontend for libalpm - classic version
7 aur/pamac-tray-appindicator 8.0.3-1 (+21 1.61%) 
    Tray icon using appindicator which feets better in KDE
6 aur/pamac-aur 8.0.3-1 (+269 7.13%) 
    A Gtk3 frontend for libalpm
5 extra/pamac-tray-appindicator 8.0.3-5 (15.6 KiB 70.0 KiB) 
    Tray icon using appindicator which fits better in KDE
4 extra/pamac-qt 0.2.1-1 (149.8 KiB 615.0 KiB) 
    A QT5 frontend for libalpm - early preview version
3 extra/pamac-gtk 8.0.3-5 (120.0 KiB 606.0 KiB) (Installed)
    A Package Manager based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream support
2 extra/pamac-common 8.0.3-5 (369.0 KiB 2.6 MiB) (Installed)
1 extra/pamac-cli 8.0.3-5 (50.5 KiB 166.0 KiB) (Installed)
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 

i also just dont like the apt style commands. pacman and yay is all i need :+1: . i used to use the pamac gui for searching but the latest changes turned me away from even using it for that. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I do think it is a problem that pamac omits aur packages if there is a repo package (of the same name).
I believe the devs are aware, so I wont make noise about it now.

As for me - I also like using yay with its nice -a and --devel flags as well as calling pacman/makepkg first and/or for anything pacman/makepkg is capable of - its simple to use and pretty darned safe. (only cli though)

There is a vital difference.

You can launch pamac install with sudo - which makes impossible to build AUR packages with the same command.

Even explicitly using pamac build will only pick from the repos if the same package name exists.
This is also apparent in the GUI where the AUR package will not appear at all.
I thought this was already known. I consider it a bug.
(albeit one that comes from the safety-feature of preferring repo packages during updates, etc)

It was ( is ) always good habit to first update manjaro repos and then AUR, git packages, private repos, schnaps...

1 Like

Can you explain how this would be beneficial?

You don't need to run pamac install with sudo either. Just let pamac elevate rights when it needs to.

It is better to get in the habit of not using sudo unless it is absolutely needed.

Please file a feature request here: