Unable to use RTX 3080 Ti GPU's

Hello everyone,

I want to use the GPU of my RTX 3080 Ti for machine learning.

Currently, I have done this:

su -
mhwd-kernel -i linux515 rmc
mhwd -r pci video-linux
mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
pacman -S cuda cudnn python-pycuda tensorflow-opt-cuda python-tensorflow-opt-cuda

As you can see in this code, I have installed the 5.15 LTS Kernel because when i was installing the proprietary drivers suggested by mhwd on the 6.1 kernel, I had a screen similar to the issue n°131599, when I boot.

With the LTS kernel, everything works, I mean, at least, my computer is booting normally and nvidia-smi works.

But mhwd -li returns:

• video-modesetting
  • video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

So my problem is that my GPU is not used when I launch a program. I have tried to install video-nvidia-470xx because it seems to be supported for my graphic card.
But if I boot with this driver, I have a black screen…

Well, well, I’m lost with all this, if someone has an idea, he is welcome.

Usually, you would use prime-run to let your program run on the GPU.

1 Like

Oh, ok, thank you, I have seen this nowhere, I will try and I will tell you if everything is fine.

1 Like

I am back, thanks for the help, It was true that with ibt=off I can upgrade to a kernel higher than 5.18, while having the proprietary graphics drivers installed, thanks for that.
But, for the moment, I couldn’t run a program on my GPU, even with prime-run <my_program>, the command watch -n 1 nvidia-smi doesn’t show any GPU activation, except when I play a video, of course… It’s quite strange I must admit…