Unable to update packages since CW25

As of this week, CW25, it’s not possible to update packages anymore for me.

Somewhere between June 14th and June 20th there was a small keyring update in pacman which seemed to fail: the package updated and then my system stalled, resulting in manual hard rebooting the system via the power button. Afterwards, I couldn’t install updates anymore because of signature … is unknown trust errors

What I did so far:

As

so try these, ignore the gpg errors:
`sudo rm -f /var/lib/pacman/sync/*`
`sudo rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/gnupg`
`sudo rm -R /root/.gnupg/`
`sudo pacman-key --init`
`sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro`
`sudo pacman -Sy gnupg archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring`
`sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys`
`sudo pacman -Scc`
`sudo pacman -Syyu`

didn’t help I did

so navigate/open to `/etc/pacman.conf`, and locate the following section:
`SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional`
and change the `SigLevel` to:
`SigLevel    = Required DatabaseNever`
save the file, then run these:
`sudo rm -f /var/lib/pacman/sync/*`
`sudo pacman-mirrors --continent`
`sudo pacman -Syyu`

and updated Chromium (only update after June 19th) without the check. Afterwards, I set back SigLevel = Required DatabaseOptional and rebooted, hoping that would be it for the future.
Unfortunately it wasn’t: today I wanted to update Thunderbird (only update today) but running into signature from "Leonidas Spyropoulos (Arch Linux Packager key) " is unknown trust again.

Also I don’t see the keyring update in pacman.log: according to the log, there simply was no update between June 14th and June 19th.

I’m at loss and could need some more advice. Any help is highly appreciated!

I don’t know where you got the commands you listed - in any case - you should see the wiki.

The section Pacman troubleshooting - Manjaro on how to reset your keyrings describes how you should approach the problem.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for your advice!

I got those commands from Google as I was searching for the string of Leonidas signature error.

I looked into the wiki and errors happen in step when installing the downloaded packages (sudo pacman -U manjaro-keyring*.pkg.tar.xz archlinux-keyring*.pkg.tar.zst):

[tux@lnx Download]$ sudo pacman -U manjaro-keyring*.pkg.tar.xz archlinux-keyring*.pkg.tar.zst
Pakete werden geladen …
Warnung: manjaro-keyring-20230719-2 ist aktuell -- Reinstalliere
Warnung: archlinux-keyring-20240609-1 ist aktuell -- Reinstalliere
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …

Pakete (2) archlinux-keyring-20240609-1  manjaro-keyring-20230719-2

Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  1,75 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:    1,66 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] j
(2/2) Schlüssel im Schlüsselbund werden geprüft                                                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Paket-Integrität wird überprüft                                                                                                                                                         [#######################################################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Paket-Dateien werden geladen                                                                                                                                                            [#######################################################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Auf Dateikonflikte wird geprüft                                                                                                                                                         [#######################################################################################################################] 100%
Fehler: Der Vorgang konnte nicht durchgeführt werden (In Konflikt stehende Dateien)
archlinux-keyring: /usr/bin/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux-revoked existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux-trusted existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux.gpg existiert im Dateisystem
Fehler sind aufgetreten, keine Pakete wurden aktualisiert.

The system warns me first about reinstalling both. But then fails stating “file conflict”.

Read the section of the same page Conflicting files - FILENAME exists in filesystem

And please use preformatted text - not quotes - when pasting terminal output

Fixing this was a bit of a hassle: firstly I couldn’t uninstall those packages. It depended on base, so I identified the culprit via package manager (it was archlinux-keyring, as it had date 1970 in the meta info).

I wanted to uninstall it but was rejected, so I did sudo pacman -Rd --nodeps archlinux-keyring. Afterwards, it was at first not possible for me to install the local archlinux-keyring package:

Fehler: Der Vorgang konnte nicht durchgeführt werden (In Konflikt stehende Dateien)
archlinux-keyring: /usr/bin/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/lib/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux-revoked existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux-trusted existiert im Dateisystem
archlinux-keyring: /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/archlinux.gpg existiert im Dateisystem
Fehler sind aufgetreten, keine Pakete wurden aktualisiert.

I was curious about the listed 7 files and checked them locally: every file listed had 0 size and nothing in it. So I deleted those files manually.

I then re-installed the local archlinux-keyring again after sudo rm -r /etc/pacman.d/gnupg and sudo pacman-key --init: success!

I then ran the populate and clear cache commands as stated in the “Pacman troubleshooting” document, followed by a sudo pacman -Syu - lastly Thunderbird could be successfully updated. :smiley:

I hope my system stays in that stable state. I will find out with the next update through the package manager. Marking this as solved, thanks for the hints!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.