Unable to Update: Package Manager Stuck at 90%

I logged on this morning and was notified with updates - I tried to open the package manager but it stuck at “Checking for Updates 90%”

I went to the command line and first made sure I got any AUR updates out of the way by running yay -Syu which updated a couple of browsers and Docker.

I went back to the package manager and found the same problem so I tried the command line as follows…

sudo pacman -Syu

And got the following output…

:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'

(This error continues to repeat for a while but I’ve truncated the above for brevity).

Eventually the last few lines are this…

error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
 there is nothing to do

Also tried the following…

pamac update --no-aur

The output was very similar…

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
Error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))
Error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-fsnotify0.3-0.3.0.1-58/desc' from db 'extra'
Error: could not read db 'extra' (Truncated input file (needed 512 bytes, only 0 available))

Is there something I can do to fix this or is it indicative of an upstream problem?

I’ve also run…

pamac checkupdates --no-aur

And at a “Your system is up to date” message, but the Package Manager says I have 8 updates on the tooltip.

Are you out of space?

@cscs Common problem! It’s caught me out once or twice … especially before I transferred the system over to the “new” larger HDD.

@tiefling Try df -h / … that’ll show if your root is too full.
du -h /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ will show how much stuff is in your Pacman cache.

Solution: clear the accumulated stuff out of the cache!

Hi, I have exactly the same extremely frustrating problem as it constantly leads to excessive RAM usage, every time package-manager checks whether there are any updates. And my disc is far from being full.
I cleared pacman cache and sync folders and the problem persists.

My errors:

error: could not parse package description file ‘python-iminuit-docs-2.21.3-1/desc’ from db ‘extra’
error: could not read db ‘extra’ (Truncated input file (needed 1024 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file ‘python-iminuit-docs-2.21.3-1/desc’ from db ‘extra’
error: could not read db ‘extra’ (Truncated input file (needed 1024 bytes, only 0 available))
error: could not parse package description file ‘python-iminuit-docs-2.21.3-1/desc’ from db ‘extra’

[UPDATE]
The problem got resolved on its own, no idea what changed.

I’ve got 143GB available so space is not an issue - good to know that can be a symptom though!

@prenc - I’m in the same boat - It’s working now and the system is updating.

Maybe it’s an issue with the mirrors you’re using going off/being overloaded/whatever. I’ve been watching the mirror list and see that particularly the UK mirrors have been off (not showing as synced) more than on for the past four days.

I did the upgrade at around 17:00 on the 21st; they were showing synced as of 16:45 and off again within the hour.

This is a pamac issue

If database is corrupted - as it appears to be - then force downloading the database may fix it - note the doubled y -

sudo pacman -Syyu

Another option is

sudo pacman -Scc

I have been watching repo.manjaro.org for the last few months and UK mirrors appear to be among the least reliable

Mirrors in France, Belgium and Germany are good for me, but new global mirror mirrors2.manjaro.org has been most excellent as primary mirror

$ pacman-mirrors
Pacman-mirrors version 4.24.0
Local mirror status for testing branch
Mirror #1   OK  00:01   Global   https://mirrors2.manjaro.org/
Mirror #2   OK  00:11   Germany  https://mirror.alpix.eu/manjaro/
Mirror #3   OK  01:01   France   https://manjaro.ynh.ovh/
1 Like

As I suspected! I may switch to the German ones as they seem fast enough. Cheers!