Unable to update because of ffmpeg3.4 dependency conflict

sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.6.7-2) is newer than extra (0.6.6-9)
warning: plasma5-themes-breath: local (0.4.0-3) is newer than community (0.4.0-2)
warning: sddm-breath-theme: local (0.4.0-3) is newer than community (0.4.0-2)
warning: sndio: local (20180120-1) is newer than community (1.8.1-1)
warning: tela-icon-theme: local (202010121-1) is newer than community (20211105-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libvpx (1.11.0-1) breaks dependency 'libvpx.so=6-64' required by ffmpeg3.4
:: installing x264 (3:0.163.r3060.5db6aa6-1) breaks dependency 'libx264.so=161-64' required by ffmpeg3.4`

Unable to update because of this. I’ve googled the error messages and found nothing helpful. Any ideas?

Also if I’d do better posting in another forum, please let me know.

Welcome to the forum!

Usually, this is caused by…

1. Switching branches ─ e.g. from Stable to Testing and/or vice versa; or
  2. A mirror that’s out of date.

I would recommend synchronizing your mirrors again and then updating… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Note that there are two y's in that pacman command. This is important when switching mirrors.

Pretty sure you have AUR packages, right? Then go up the chain and remove the AUR package requiring ffmpeg 3.4 (which itself is not part of official Manjaro packages).

Update the system.

Then reinstall your AUR package.

There’s your issue. That’s an AUR package. If you actually need it (which I doubt you do), it needs to be rebuilt. Install the regular ffmpeg packge from the repos.

Not quite.

Click the Preformatted text </> button instead. :wink:

```
type or paste code here
```

Please edit your post accordingly.

This wasn’t why. I switched to testing well over a year ago.

This was the most helpful suggestion. I ran sudo pacman -Qm and discovered that there were packages listed that weren’t shown in Octopi, one of which was ffmeg34. I uninstalled all of those except one needed by a several graphics applications.

After that, easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.