The best distribution for GT-King

Hello everybody! :grinning:

I have a TV gadget “GT-King” (not Pro) on SOC S922X.
Which distribution is better to use for it - this on github
or for KHADES VIM 3 from the [official Manjaro website]https://manjaro.org/download/)?

You can try Ugoos AM6 Plus from the Manjaro Download site or GT King Pro image from Releases · manjaro-arm/gtking-pro-images · GitHub. You will need to edit the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and change the dtb to meson-g12b-gtking.dtb.

I suppose khadas vim3 images should also work using the appropriate dtb.

@JFL thanks for the fast answer! :+1:

Yes, I understand that I can choose from these three distributions.

But I would like not to engage in experiments, but to find out in advance which of them is the most reliable and promising.

Can you tell me the best choice?

My device is GT King Pro and had used Ugoos Am6 Plus and GT King Pro images. Both works great.

The thing to look out for is the wifi and bluetooth drivers. You will need to find out which wifi and bluetooth driver/ffirmware works on your device and back it up. As at time when linux firmware upgrades the new wifi/bluetooth firmware might not be compatible anymore.

@JFL

Thank you very much for your experience! :+1:
I guess I’ll start with Ugoos Am6 Plus, because I don’t know which one to start with on github -
with the newest Release Dev 20231016 · manjaro-arm/gtking-pro-images · GitHub
or the old release Release 22.10 · manjaro-arm/gtking-pro-images · GitHub

And at what moment do me need to make these corrections - BEFORE installing Manjaro,
or AFTER installation this and start?

Try the latest for example 20231016 less packages to update. After you have flash the image to your SD Card or USB Flash drive remember to change the dtb in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to reflect your device example “meson-g12b-gtking.dtb” before you boot.

if all goes well it should boot up on your device. If your gtking uses wifi6 not sure whether there is a wifi driver for this in Manjaro, @spikerguy might have the info.

1 Like

Ok. I’ll tell you what happened in my attempts:

1. Ugoos Am6 Plus does not work, the following error appears on the screen when starting:
    Although I replaced string to
    FDT /dtbs/amlogic/meson-g12b-gtking.dtb

1. KHADAS VIM 3 also does not work, Android loads instead.
    Although I too replaced string to
    FDT /dtbs/amlogic/meson-g12b-gtking.dtb

2. Dev 20231016 from GitHub works immediately even without correcting the config file.
    But I’m not sure that this Prerelease will be updated correctly in the future.
    Maybe it 's better to start with release 22.10 ?

So, how can I find the author who makes these working builds on Github? I want to talk to him a little :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI, my device also started of with one of the pre-release GT King Pro images and have no issue update/upgrade it to the latest Unstable Branch and you can choose to switch to Testing/Stable Branch if you like.

Do you propose to take a chance, amiable friend? :smiley:

As far as I understand the pre-release GT King Pro image is all we get and it works so far on my device and update/upgrade should not be an issue. For example if you use 20231016 image it means you will have less packages to update/upgrade when you perform your first system update/upgrade. As long as it can boot up and all functions works (Ethernet, WIFI, Bluetooth, Sound, GPU HW Accelerated) you are in good shape.

Go for it. For your info, Wayland seems to work better on GT King Pro.