Unable to login. Errors regarding libncursesw.so.6

Hello! I’m running 6.0.2-3-MANJARO-ARM on a RockPro64 board. I had been logged in remotely via ssh when I got this error:

/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.6: unsupported version 4097 of Verneed record

That error meant less than nothing to me so I ran “sudo reboot now” and successfully rebooted, still remote. When I tried to ssh back in with the same account I’d been logged in as before, I got this:

Last login: Fri Feb 24 14:57:22 2023 from xyz

-bash: /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.6: unsupported version 8193 of Verdef record

-bash: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.6: unsupported version 4097 of Verneed record

Connection to abc closed.

So I’m unable to ssh in. I schlepped down to the basement and hooked up a monitor/keyboard (this box is normally headless) and attempted to login locally as my user account and as root. Both scroll some info on the screen too fast to read (I assume a similar error as when ssh’ing, but I can’t be sure) and then unceremoniously return me to my original login prompt.

So, no updates or installs were performed between working and broken, and I’m now completely unable to login. I’m at a loss as to what could have happened here. The boot disk is an industrial type SD card, so I can remove that to work on it in my Mac if there’s anything to be done that way.

Thanks for any assistance!

A quick search give me that: Unsupported version 0 of Verneed record [Linux 6.0] - snapd - snapcraft.io

First: You kernel is outdated, so EOL. Upgrade to the next stable version 6.1 or install the latest LTS 5.15. https://www.kernel.org/

Second: It is a snap bug in combination with kernel 6.0 which occurs on Ubuntu mostly and the internet is full of that. So you there must be apparently some snap apps running when you boot.

Thanks for the response! I’m not sure how to do anything about any of that when I can’t get past the login prompt. Is there some way to edit the SD card to disable these snap apps (I don’t know what those even are! will Google!) so that I can login and run some updates?

I am unsure if the “normal” method will work for an ARM-System, but you can boot a Live Session of Manjaro or if you have an Installation, you can use that.

You mount the root partition, something like:

sudo mount /dev/<device> /mnt

and run:

sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Now you should be on the installation within that terminal session. If manjaro-chroot is not available you have to install it: pamac install manjaro-tools-base-git.

At this point you can usually do updates and fix problems.

Hmm. Sounds dicey! I’ll give it a whirl. Thx for your thoughts.