Unable to install - "there are no partitions to install on"

Hello, I'm trying Linux for the first time & can't get pass the error "there are no partitions to install on." After clicking launch installer I get that msg. I don't know why it's not showing my ssd I have over 400gb of space on my ssd. I have an 2018 Lenovo legion y520 16gb,512 gb ssd. I just opened it out of the box a few hours ago so it's freshly new laptop. How do I fix this error? I have xfc Manjaro version iso on my flash drive btw.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and Manjaro. :wink:

First thing you want to do is go into the BIOS and turn off anything that says Secure boot, Fast boot or least likely CSM.
There may be a setting for Windows or Other OS as well. Make sure that's set to Other OS.

1 Like

First check what @SinisterBrain tells you about your BIOS.

If you have Windows preinstalled, watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddQE-g_5mk
It will give you an overview of the entire process. See well partitions section.

Feel free to ask, if you have questions.

2 Likes

I have secure boot disabled & fast boot disabled problem remains the same.. I've attached some photos of current bios settings maybe you can see what I'm missing?

Thanks for the video, however this doesn't solve my current issue. My ssd still can't be seen during the Manjaro installer process.

1 Like

Disable PXE Boot to Lan

Give it a try then.

How do I do that? I'm not too tech savvy

Just go back into BIOS and disable it.
It's in your second screenshot for reference.

I tried, it's still saying there are no partitions to install on :disappointed_relieved:. I really want to try Linux for the first time.

Here is more updated screenshots that may help with troubleshooting

Can you boot a Manjaro LiveUSB?
Does it make it to the Live Desktop?

What do you mean by live? I currently have the Manjaro iso on flash drive and can load from that. I have connected my wifi on Manjaro & did a bit of internet surfing on the native browser there

Yes, boot using the LiveUSB.

Then use Gparted to look at your disks.

Are you planning on Dual Booting or do you just want Manjaro?
If you just want manjaro and no dual boot, then just clean the entire drive with Gparted in the Live environment. Then reboot, and try and install again.

If you want to Dual boot with Windows... I'm afraid I'm at the end of my knowledge that I'm comfortable walking your through (Only just started using linux a few months ago myself).

Someone with more knowledge will have to guide you then.

That is exactly the LiveUSB / Installation media...

1 Like

Yes, I plan on dual booting. Gparted is only showing me the USB drive I have equipped in...

Yes, I know that now. Do you have any insight what my issue could be has far as my ssd not showing up?

I think this might be a Windows issue with how it handles suspend/hibernation.

One sec, let me look through my bookmarks/notes.

I'm also having forum issues so that's fun. :wink:

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark