Unable to go hires anymore after update

The main plan all along. And I did that, but it refuses to install them, says it’s aleady to the newest…
By the way, I can manjaro-chroot into it…I can try it now…
edit - man, I’m stupid, I did a chroot and the mount was empty, it mounted an sda5

both options say the same “dont wanna, already newest”, can I just remove the drivers and start again?

No dice, I removed video-linux and went for the free drivers, still stuck

I’m going to butt in again. Just to say this. (Couldn’t help but catching this, I’ve got notifications since I was involved here.)

Basically, I’d suggest seeing which drivers are installed. Once you’ve entered a chroot environment:

mwhd -li

And then for each line, uninstall it.

sudo mwhd -r <driver>

Example:

1. Get list of installed drivers:
$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
  1. Uninstall each driver:
sudo mhwd -r video-nvidia # In this example. You'd have to tailor it to your output value(s)
  1. DO NOT REBOOT

2. Install the free drivers:

sudo mwhd -a pci free 0300
  1. Cross fingers and reboot

That’s what I recommend now, as I quickly caught up as my day’s ending.

Thanks, did that. No luck. I fear the worst (the install is more than 5 years old…) and am preparing to do a reinstall… :cry:

Well, it DOES seem you had a good run! Reinstalling’s no fun, no.

But on the bright side you’ll have a new, fresh system.

Edit:
And be sure to install with the free drivers, while you’re there.

1 Like

A wee motivation boost :grinning: I just recently did 2 fresh installs (because it turned out that my aged eeePc runs way smoother on wayland, so I gave it another shot and switched to wayland on the other laptop as well) and it was kinda fun, and a nice learning curve to boot… :chart_with_upwards_trend:

EDIT: Also, on a 5 year old system there have to be some ‘outdated’ configs - for example, for me it turned out that manjaro’s root-fsck implementation didn’t work without additional (unmentioned) manual intervention (editing fstab) …

1 Like

Thanks for the boost. I got a 2Tb external drive and am formatting it now to EXT3, a simple copy, a verify, a fresh install…and as @Mirdarthos suggested:

So…yea…

Got me on inactive for two days…but hey…
This time, I may go for a KDE…
Melissa

Thanks…eh…maybe I can tweak better this time :slight_smile:

May I know if there’s any specific reason for that and not ext4?

Exactly! Have some fun :slightly_smiling_face: :innocent:

I have a feeling that an install of that age may be incapable of handling it. But then…I’m not that hardcore :wink:

How do you mean an install of that age?

Manjaro is rolling release and since you can access the Live environment you can just get the latest ISO and flash it to USB and use that. Then ext4 will definitely be there - I’d know. It’s what I use.

1 Like

Wow, didn’t know that.
The reason I had to format was that NTFS cannot handle things the way we’re used to…
So, yea…
I just went for what I knew…learned something more…again…
I love Linux :wink:

Yes. Linux is awesome! And it’s ever-changing!

1 Like