Unable to connect to Wifi printer

Try opening the printers web interface

http:://printerip

I am assuming you have the necessary packages installed for printing?

Open the cups interface at localost:631 and change the printer port to ipp://printerip

1 Like

Ok. Thanks :slight_smile:
What now?
How can I enable wifi printing on Manjaro?
Should I do something with ports?
Network admin is from outside the company and we contact him when we have network outage only.
I can only do something wit my machine.
Do not know what :confused:

I have.
Printer is installed (I can change between USB and WIFI).
This:

http:://printerip

I will try tomorrow at work. I am here while outside workspace.
I have case backlog since Feb because of covid :confused: and little time to try private stuff.

I am ashamed to admit, but I did the same what I ask my users not to do:

• half ass testing
  • assumptions

I am able to ping. I took the address from the printer and ping it as it was. With “0” in front of the last sets of bits.
I was sure that I could ping them before, but now I couldn’t.
Months ago I actually removed the zeros and that is why I could ping.

So now - I can ping from all devices (Manjaro included) and I can print as well.
I have narrowed the problem - all texts come out of the printer with exceptions of table content.
I can print whatever I can, just not what is in a table.
Test print came out strange, my table with most often used terminal commands came out empty.
My document with one table was printed fine - just the table was empty.
Driver issue?

You need to find the correct ppd file

Leading zero would indicate octal representation - but apparently your printer messed it up when showing the ip.

2 Likes

Printers are the bane of my existence.
Mostly BOCAs and STAR printers. And few plastic card units our customers are using.
So… that is why I feel like and ass now :slight_smile:

AUR? Or on Brother website?
I have installed all drivers from terminal

Many printer vendors only ships drivers in rpm or deb format.

Those requires repacking to work on Manjaro - perhaps you will have success with this AUR packages - note the comment on the dependency of lib32-libcups - you need multilib enabled in pacman.conf to install this.

Inputting the static IP on wireless printers implements an unusual pattern - my personal thinking is they want to ensure they can interpret the input to a valid IP - so they use 4x3 digits - using leading zeroes if the block is less than 3 digits.

When pinging such address one need to remembe that the leading zeroes must be omitted as they are not valid - they are only placeholders.

example - input on the printer display 192.168.00x.00y is translated to 192.168.x.y

I have a cheap HP scan/print device which uses the pattern - for all IPv4 settings.

I am using an old HL2240D and none of official drivers work with this so I use a custom ppd.

https://uex.dk/archive/Brother
1 Like

That was a really bad decision. Leading spaces would have been ok. (But it is best not to do any extraordinary formatting in such case)
:footprints:

If this happens, go to Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners, select your printer, and remove it. Then click Add a Printer or Scanner to re-add it to the device list. Incredibly (and frustratingly), this often gets things up and running again.