Unable to boot Manjaro usb installation stick

Good day

Please, could anyone help me?

I had a problem booting the Manjaro usb installer. When I try to install a new Manjaro system, my installation crashes. The only thing visible is the word GRUB in the upper right corner and the system does not respond. It must be hard to shut down.

I can’t boot into the Manjaro boot menu at all.

I tested the USB disk with Manjar on several computers and the disk with Manjar is functional (some computers with UEFI and others with the classic BIOS). I can’t start the installation only on the Alienware M17xR3 model.

Other distributions on this computer work fine. Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, EndeavorOS, Tails, etc.

The USB disk was created using the DD command or Gnome-disks.

I also had this problem with Ventoy. I also can’t get to the grub menu. I also tried flashing the BIOS version and still nothing.

Is the problem either in Manjaro itself, between the chair and the keyboard, or with rare hardware?

System:    Kernel: 5.14.16-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.2 tk: Qt 5.15.2
           wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux
Machine:   Type: Portable System: Alienware product: M17xR3 v: A08 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Alienware model: M17xR3 v: A08 serial: <filter> BIOS: Alienware v: A08 date: 07/29/2011
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 73.4 Wh (100.0%) condition: 73.4/90.0 Wh (81.6%) volts: 12.4 min: 11.1 model: SDI DELL 7XC9N1AQ
           type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full
           Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M705 serial: <filter> charge: 45% rechargeable: yes status: Discharging
Memory:    RAM: total: 15.58 GiB used: 3.07 GiB (19.7%)
           RAM Report: missing: Required tool dmidecode not installed. Check --recommends
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-2670QM bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 cache: L2: 6 MiB
           bogomips: 35101
           Speed: 797 MHz min/max: 800/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 797 2: 797 3: 838 4: 796 5: 798 6: 1176 7: 816 8: 797
           Flags: acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon avx bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64
           dtherm dts epb ept est flexpriority flush_l1d fpu fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ida lahf_lm lm mca mce md_clear mmx monitor msr
           mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pebs pge pln pni popcnt pse pse36 pti pts rdtscp rep_good
           sep ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi vpid
           x2apic xsave xsaveopt xtopology xtpr
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116 class-ID: 0300
           Device-2: Suyin Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_3M type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 2-1.4:4 chip-ID: 064e:8110
           class-ID: 0e02
           Display: x11 server: X,org 1.20.13 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2) v: 3.3 Mesa 21.2.4 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

Please excuse me for bad English.

Regards Adam

Older hardware seems to be a obstacle for Manjaro. There is sporadic reports that some systems simply cannot be used with Manjaro.

What causes this :man_shrugging: I have no idea.

This can be problem - and is sometimes caused by the system’s firmware.

Especially early versions of EFI can be problematic.

The EFI boot may be the only way to boot but subsequent install must be made using BIOS and MBR - sometimes GPT will work too.

With this older hardware it can be a couple of hit and miss before it actually succeeds - and to me there has been no pattern - just sheer luck.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

What does Virtualbox have to do with installing to hard disk?

Tip: When pasting terminal output on Discourse forums, one can either…

• Use the Preformatted text </> toolbar button–NOT the Quote " button

• Add three backticks ` above and below the text (Markdown):

```
    type or paste code here
    ```

• Use HTML:

<pre><code>
    type or paste code here
    </pre></code>

Please edit your post accordingly.

It was meant as a joke. That I can install and use Manjaro only in VirtualBox.
From time to time I will try Manjaro to see if I get to the GRUB menu. But without results.
Otherwise, I don’t have much experience with posting an article here on the forum, so please excuse me.

The topic title should describe what you need help with, not an out of context inside (your own head) joke. :wink:

Please see How to Post and edit your topic title accordingly.

3 Likes

Hello everyone
Wouldn’t it be possible to fix / reconfigure grub in a live usb stick?
I still can’t solve it.
Thank you