Unable to boot into live usb after grub menu. Blinking cursor on top left only

I’m trying to install Manjaro Cinnamon 21.0.4 on my newly built computer but every time I boot the live USB after getting past the grub menu and select either free or proprietary drivers I get just a black screen with the blinking cursor. When entering a TTY shell it appears that LightDM is crashing with exit code 1. It seems to be coming from Xorg as that thinks it cannot see my screen even though all of my hardware is visible. I’ve tried just about everything I could find but to no avail. As I said it’s a live USB for installing so I can’t save anything. What could I possibly do to get past the issue and install as normal with the fix applied as well?

System Info
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM: 64GB 3200MHz ( 2 x 32GB )

Check if this thread helps you:

Basically you probably need to boot an ISO with latest kernel (5.12) because of your recent video card.

//EDIT: also now I think about it, you probably can create your custom ISO with kernel 5.12 from GitHub following and adapting this video tutorial if you don’t have access to another working computer

Thank you very much for the suggestion and explanation as to how I can do it. I’ll be trying just your suggestion as soon as I can. I’ll update on any potential progress.

It worked! I ran into some issues but I was able to get it working! Thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.