Unable to boot from M.2 NVMe

i meant unresponsive

Are you connected via usb-c or usb 3.0.

ubs 3.0, you’re refering to the NVMe correct?

Ok i tried USB 2 and have made it past spinning circle currently monitor displays cursor with no desktop … waiting

I do not have a M.2 nvme but it should work. The kernel modules are there. One thing you can try is modify the cmdline.txt and config.txt to see the terminal messages and maybe see what is going on.

cmdline.txt on the boot partition:

root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 selinux=0 plymouth.enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=serial0,115200 usbhid.mousepoll=8 snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 audit=0

config.txt make these 2 lines look like this:

# initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
# disable_splash=1

Ok I am currently at setup …

It appears successful

I am atempting reboot after setup completion …

Wow!

Looks like a usb 3.0 issue which means you lose speed. I do not know if you tried the Rpi OS 64 bit image yet but I have the same kernel as them.

I wonder as I wonder; sometimes quirks needs to be set in cmdline.txt on other drives for it to work on usb 3.0. I wonder if it will work on the nvme.

Currently waiting at cursor with no DE …

Desktop has loaded system functional but sluggish

Should I try now connecting drive to usb 3 after shutdown?

After going through the setup reboot and I would try switching to the testing branch and do a complete upgrade first to get the latest kernel. To maybe rule out a possible bug in the present kernel before I try switching back to 3.0.

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing then sudo pacman -Syu?

I believe -Syyu

Ok give me a moment sytem is rebooting I will switch to testing then respond with results

It may be awhile everthing seems to be taking 10x longer than it should

I am still waiting at manjaro splash screen with a spinning circle drive appears to be functional led flashing, have yet to switch to testing branch

I have rebooted, enter cmd to switch to testing, waiting for cmd to complete
::INFO Branch in config is changed

…Waiting

Terminal appears unresponsive, led solid on NVMe

If and when you do the upgrade and still have the same issue with usb 3.0 then my last idea’s is try this:

First make sure you are current with the latest eeprom version in stable. After the upgrade the raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-bootloader-x should be good. These go hand in hand with each other as they get upgraded.

Finally if the above fails try this as a last ditch effort. Starting on this page with “Fixing (some) USB Adapter Problems Using Quirks”.

https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/

Some times ubuntu will fix issues by re-coding the kernel which we do not do here. This does look like there is a compatibility issue with the adapter and or nvme drive.