Unable to boot after update | Failed to load Kernel modules (Update from 5.4 to 5.9/5.10 | Nvidia NV160 family (Turing))

I recently updated my system with sudo pacman -Syyu
Post the update, I was not able to boot. I tried booting with all the available kernels (5.4, 5.9, 5.10) but no avail.
Booting with Kernel 5.9 and 5.10 gets stuck post Manajro welcome screen where we can select kernels to boot from. It gets stuck with my motherboards logo after that. In normal course, it would dsplay the motherboard logo for a second and then boot into the login screen.

Changing kerenel to 5.4 results in the following error:

Failed to load Kernel Modules

Earlier I was on kernel 5.4 and things were alright.

Current config:
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1650
CPU - Ryzen

Things attempted:

1. Noticed that the kernel headers for 5.4 were missing post update. chroot’d into the machine and installed headers for 5.4 using sudo pacman -S linux54-headers → Rebooted with 5.4 kernel still the same error (Failed to load kernel modules)

2. Tried to install non free drivers with - mhwd -a pci nonfree 300

• I get the a conflict issue as follows:

::nvidia-utils and nvidia-430xx-utils are in conflict (nvidia-libgl)

System information:

pacman -Q | grep -e linux54 -e linux41

Output:
Linux54 5.4.92-1
Linux54-nvidia-430xx 430.64-88

pacman -Q | grep -e linux59 -e linux41

Output:
Linux59 5.9.16-1
Linux59-headers 5.9.16-1

mhwd-kernel -li

Output:
Currently running: 5.9.16-1-Manjaro

• linux510
  • lnux54
  • linux59

Hello,

Make a habit to read the stable announcements. There is a wiki post that explains what to do in some situations. For instance:

In your case, instead of nvidia-450xx-utils is nvidia-430xx-utils

You do not need the linux-heders for video-nvidia. You need them when you use dkms and dkms drivers …

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
This did the trick.

I had read that particular point but was not confident with executing the same as I have had prior experience of things going downhill due to my lack of understanding of video drivers and their relation with the updates.
Nevetheless, point noted sarge!

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.