Ugly horizontal tearing / OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past

Hello,

Yes, I am a Linux noob with 2 days old Manjaro install, pretty much clean (restored by Timeshift a few times and tried all kernels already).

I get a “OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.” error message within the KDE Plasma “Display and Monitor” settings, under the “Compositor” tab (see below) and I would like to ask your advice if I shall re-enable this “OpenGL detection” and adjust these settings or leave all this as it is? Most of teh tearing has been gone now (from the window edges) but I still have a few ugly tearing horizontal lines when scrolling long pages… :frowning:

I am with Nvidia RTX2070 and the proprietary Nvidia 450.66 driver and has followed the Nvidia settings guide given here in the forum by the admins and a pro contributor.

[x@x1 ~]$ inxi -Fazy
System:

Summary

Kernel: 5.8.6-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64
root=UUID=9c1d4c92-4bc0-4b1c-b76d-3af88008f12e rw rootflags=subvol=@ quiet
apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.5 tk: Qt 5.15.0 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM
Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: Z370M D3H v: N/A serial:
Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z370M D3H-CF v: x.x serial:
UEFI: American Megatrends v: F13 date: 08/13/2019
CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-8700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Kaby Lake family: 6 model-id: 9E (158) stepping: A (10) microcode: D6
L2 cache: 12.0 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
bogomips: 88824
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800
4: 800 5: 801 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800
Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX disabled
Type: l1tf
mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI
Type: spec_store_bypass
mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Type: spectre_v1
mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional,
IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode
Type: tsx_async_abort mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: nvidia v: 450.66 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus ID: 01:00.0
chip ID: 10de:1f02
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: nvidia
display ID: :0 screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x2160 s-dpi: 110 s-size: 887x494mm (34.9x19.4")
s-diag: 1015mm (40")
Monitor-1: DP-2 res: 3840x2160 hz: 60 dpi: 111 size: 878x485mm (34.6x19.1")
diag: 1003mm (39.5")
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 200 Series PCH HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:a2f0
Device-2: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:10f9
Device-3: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
bus ID: 1-1:2 chip ID: 045e:075d
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.6-1-MANJARO
Network:
Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Gigabyte driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k
port: f000 bus ID: 00:1f.6 chip ID: 8086:15b8
IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.20 TiB used: 20.64 GiB (1.7%)
SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required.
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVPW256HEGL-000H1
size: 238.47 GiB block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 31.6 Gb/s
lanes: 4 serial: rev: CXZ73H0Q scheme: GPT
ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EFRX-68FYTN0
size: 931.51 GiB block size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s
rotation: 5400 rpm serial: rev: 0A82 scheme: GPT
ID-3: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: SD MMC size: 59.48 GiB
block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B serial: rev: 1.00
scheme: MBR
SMART Message: Unknown USB bridge. Flash drive/Unsupported enclosure?
Partition:
ID-1: / raw size: 200.00 GiB size: 200.00 GiB (100.00%)
used: 20.64 GiB (10.3%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
ID-2: /home raw size: 200.00 GiB size: 200.00 GiB (100.00%)
used: 20.64 GiB (10.3%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
Swap:
Alert: No Swap data was found.
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 27.8 C mobo: 16.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 33 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 45%
Info:
Processes: 290 Uptime: 26m Memory: 15.58 GiB used: 2.12 GiB (13.6%)
Init: systemd v: 246 Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages: pacman: 1217 lib: 340
flatpak: 0 Shell: Bash v: 5.0.18 running in: konsole inxi: 3.1.05
[x@x1 ~]$

[/details]

Hi!
When you have to paste a long output from any command use the wheel icon to hide the text, it will easier to read.
About your problem, enable the compositor at startup and change it to OpenGL 3.1

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the help.

Godd to know! I used it and it looks good now.

I can confirm that this works and made the trick, finally most of the tearing (vertical and horizontal) are gone now from my system! Actually, as far as I can see the exact settings combination that worked for me are:

• Compositor on startup
  • Smooth, OpenGL3.1
  • Full screen repaints (not the other 3!) and of coursrse
  • all the other Nvidia and OS settings as per one of the Manjaro team memeber’s guide here in the forum.

It is really sad that you have to fiddle with dozens of deep settings and use tricks on Linux to have a decently performing 2D desktop :frowning: I know, its Nvidia and the lack of support. too, but I think most of these settings that I had to apply (like a a dozens of steps) could be applied as default by KDE or Manjaro install or so (automatically based on detection). The scrolling is not tearing for me now, but it is still as “smooth and fluid” as it was in 1990 on my first VGA monitor while this is an RTX270 at 4K (okay not 90Hz+)… :frowning: Maybe we all have to send donation for Nvidia to make drivers? But this time I feel liek the solution is rather in the hand of KDE devs or manjaro or Arch or I am not sure but the settings that fixed it mostly are not in Nvidia panel. Shall I buy linux steam games just to support Nvidia and have better drivers…?

Hi!
Try to change smooth to accurate

1 Like

Hi,
Thats where I came from, I mean that is how it was at the beginning… but now I wantzed to try it again as you suggested, went back to the KDE Compositior panel and to my biggest suproze most of the setting are reverted or changed automatically, without my knowledge and against of my will and my original settings (as we did set it today as per above post)! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :sob: :scream:

NO WAY this is true… LINUX does hate me. You guys all try to help me, I spent like 96 hours straight just to setup Linux desktop, VGA, kernel, partitions, recovery etc to see which one and how it works perfectly but whatever we do, set, this system is like a spontaneous wild raging horse who hates me.

I do try my bests after Win10 but this is not going well, at all. You see below, tearing prevention went back to Never, Enable compositor on startup got disabled again… and tearing is bacvk. I just rebooted a few times.

UPDATE!
I have found something related!
When I used the “Screen edges” function of the KDE desktop (touched the screen edge by mouse and activated my custom preset “Presnet Windows” feature (to show all open windows by touching screen edge), so when I used this a few times it is crashing (or the Compositor part) and stopping as process and at this moment the Compositor setting automatically change! The quicker I reactivate this screen edge function (or the shorter reactivation time I set for(, the more likely it does crash!

Screen edge function/Compositor crash reverts my Accurate setting to Smooth…

But you are right, this “Accurate” setting results way smoother" scrolling on webpages than the “smooth” setting… paradox.But as we can see, these settings here may or might randomly change, not surely persistent over boots etc.

UPDATE:

As I am at the edge of giving up, now I have downloaded and tried Manjaro XFCE Live iso and OMG! Absolutely ZERO screen tearing of any kind whatever you do, no matter how fast you scroll a mile or how wild you drag multiple windows. And all this at default settings, even the Nvidia panel is as it was, so “Force Full Composite Pipeline” is OFF, display res is at auto, I have not changed any config files or so, I just booted up the live ISO with the same proprietary Nvidia driver and same 5.8 kernel.

I am not dev but a Linux noob, but all this tells me that the KDE desktop is not compatible, not polished with the Nvidia driver and/or with the OS. It is really pity because only the KDE desktop matches Win10 in terms of aesthetics, harmony. This XFCE is astonishingly blazing fast, snappy like nuclear fusion but old school, too simple.
Now I tried KDE NEON live iso as well to see whats the “best KDE can do”, to see if that works perfecrtly or not. I didnt want that distro just because its not Arch based but the commercial Ubuntu based and in general the slow and old Debian based at the end of the day. RESULT: LOL :smiley: KDE NEON is tearing like hell, the worst ever visual experience by now.

A MAYBE partial solution for my case may be setting very high activation/reactivation times for the Screen Edges KDE function so it do not crash the component and thus it dioes not revert my Composite settings. For 20 minutes or so it works! Crisp setting instead of Accurate is seemingly more stable for me while having simiilarly smooth result as the Accurate setting.

All in all there is no perfect 2D desktop visual experience/performance for me, no matter which distro and what settings. I guess it is something with drivers or Linux in general. Thsi is the very best we could bring out from this, nearly zero tearing now and kinda smootish scroling/window dragging.

Hi!
In order to prevent to any application could disable compositor you need to disable that option.
Maybe kwin, the compositor of kde plasma, is a little tricky and need some adjustments as far as new nvidia cards, even a little buggy since the last qt update, but once you have your configuration set, you will enjoy it so much.
You can’t compare xfce with plasma, different compostior, diferrent options and configurations.
You can try any kde distribution but if it update at last, it will give you the same issues, all use the same compositor and almost anyone the same drivers. The only one I know that use nvidia-455 is arcolinux or arch. You can try them,but you’ll gonna configure the comositor the same way than on manjaro

1 Like

Thanks again for the follow up, for guiding me!
Okay I see, so now I did disable (uncheck) that option within the compositor. Hopefully its gonna be permanent and not reverting back itself when I dont look at it… :smiley: I am gonna keep an eye on this nasty evil Compositor panel for a few days! :smiley:

Thats what I have been looking for! I am fed up with installation and settings already :smiley: 3 days passed and all I got is a desktop yet :smiley:

Manjaro is just perfectly “bleeding edge” to me with 5.8 etc (if not overklill) and I am pretty sure it is performing one of the best of all distros as I have two Debian standle PCs now for a week (office and my moms), tried so many and most of them are sluggish and even more problematic on power PC hardware.

What I wish is Manjaro or KDE or NVIDIA preconfigure all this so that when we ordinary users install the OS and the driver we get the best result thats is possible, without 24h community help and personal struggle :smiley:

The defaults are defaults for a reason.
(though manjaro doesnt control them in any case)
While you and I might set OpenGL 3.1 … there are easily more setups out there that wouldnt even have a functional desktop if it was made the default.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I got your point, hear you.

I can understand that every setup is different and requires matching settings. but I am 100% positive that all this settings shall be way more automatic and adaptive to the given PC setup. I am pretty sure that its very very complex and hard work technically, and requires testing and feedbacks too but it works on Win10 and thats what we all want, more and more people love and use Linux. I am a fanatic power user or what its why I have not given up after the first 5 hours of struggle, but most people do not “enjoy” such as we do so they just turn away. :wink:

SO many desktop options I know, and you do not control KDE for example…

This is tunnel vision again.
In WINdoze you would also need to manually go to the manufacturer site and download the drivers.
(maybe then you also get some extra programS to monitor it and send data back and maybe check for updates and things)
It sounds like a lot more work (and guess work) than maybe a user flipping a switch if their hardware is capable, or requiring, of a slightly different setting.

Sure … automagic would be great. But its more work than its worth honestly.
So sane defaults are the answer.

Driver download is not an issue, at all. It works like a dream in Manjaro OS! It is even easier to install it than on Win10 as it preinstalls if you select it… But on Win you install the driver and regardless of your PC setup it just works with zero tearing (2D desktop) and settings dont revert back to their original (like KDE settings did fo me), desktop components do not crash when the user activates the “peek desktop” screen edge function and so on. That is what I meant. Way too much overlapping and interfering settings I had to come over with community help to get a visually well performing 2D desktop. And I wanna play APEX Legends on this Manjaro next weekend :smiley:

Now I know its rather about KDE and their settings and not about Manjaro dev team.

Well … if you want to compile a list of … lets say only amd/radeon cards … and whether they work better with one OpenGL version or another … and then make a framework for implementing this for every install …
by the time you have done that … 3.1 will have become the default because the majority of systems out there would run on it and other devices would be considered ‘legacy’ and thus require switching to 2.0

(I know you mentioned other things … but this is the topic at hand so I am keeping the scope simple)

1 Like

I am really not at that technical level to discuss the details, so I do not debate what you described or your points and I am 100% sure that all are valid points.

While I am sure that, if Win10 like user friendliness and usability is the goal (maybe it is not), than there shall be some solution to make all these initial video setups easier somehow. maybe by a guided setup button in the Manjaro Welcome splash window…? Or I will send send 10 Euro donation to KDE and ask them to be so kind as to make their Compositor way less wild and Nvidia user friendly :smiley:

I mean … you arent crazy … We can technically parse, for example, GCN versions … and maybe a script could check those, or even a ‘setup program’ could check and offer choices.
But dont forget the other factor - control.
There are a LOT of users that would be angry with that kind of automation, especially if it in some way required further actions to somehow disable or undo etc.

In the end … automagic is something that is useful and desired … but it takes work … and there are almost always tradeoffs. And whether something is ‘valuable’ is worth noting… as in the example of receding norms above.
(I myself am more of the ‘all power to the end user’ types)

1 Like

I can understand that, and this is not a ~buntu distro but you are Arch Linux pros and that is also about total control. Also, this is a main reason why Win users switch to Linux, hoping in getting back control on their information flow, media consumption, digital life and over their PC.

I must see that all this is ultra complex issue, and extremely hard work as well especially with a rolling distro and without the cashflow of Microsoft but rather for the community.

YOur Manjaro Architect version vs the premade flavors are a great solution for all this, this way you fulfill the need of the pros by the Architect version (total control) and the premades can be for exWin10 users. Honestly, I think Manjaro is the most unique and perhaps one of the best Linux as it is a bridge between the buntu world and the Arch. YOu offer so much control with the easiest possible GUI solutions and all this with the latest softwares.

I am not robbing mor of your time now with further posts in this thread and I wish Manjaro be the one who takes a great share from Windows not Canonical or Redhat with their relatively “sluggish dated” distros.

:dove: :peace_symbol: :crossed_fingers:

Cheers mate. No worries. Just talking about the ‘lay of the land’ with you.
You are a bit new … and theres nothing wrong with that … but also means all our old war stories and history and such is fresh to you :wink:

1 Like

UPDATE!

I reinstalled Manjaro with the KDE iso with the non-free driver option and to my biggest surprise the video is now butter smooth, runs so fluid as water with the default settings! Zero tearing in any aspects and scrolling is also as perfect as it can be on an oversized 59Hz 4K display. Same as on Win10 now.

First thing after an update I checked the default settings in Nvidia XServer and the KDE Compositor panel and to my biggest surprize with a totally different settings combination than what we finally “agreed upon” in the above thread. I did not make any changes now, did not follow the guide or any so.

My conclusion now is that the OS and KDE comes perfect for RTX2070 too but something, somehow screws something up during usage or while teh user so me doing settings in KDE desktop. I have no clue of all this now. I will make frequent backups now and look for changes…

Below is the default setting that are perfect now with my RTX2070 and I do not dare to touch now any of these until thing go wrong again… Please advise if I shall disable the “Allow applications to block compositing” option or leave it until things get worse…?