After installing then updating kernel, will no longer boot

I have a new machine I was hoping to dual boot linux with windows. It is a gaming platform, but I intend to learn linux and coding with it along side the gaming and normal daily use. Enough about me.

I have tried multiple distros at this point. Other than Manjaro, I have tried mint cinnamon 20.1, and mint edge. Ubuntu, and Pop. Manjaro made it the furthest, which was to actually boot after the install from the bootable usb. Then I updated the packages. Now it will no longer boot. My system moves very quickly at boot and I have been unable to read the errors that pop up, but it looks like 2 different errors. I get the impression from my research that it is the AMD X570 Phantom motherboard chipset along with my processor (Ryzen 7 5800x).

I saw another thread with similar issues, that fix did not work for me.
I tried to include the link but it is not allowed here.

Any guidance would be helpful.

boot with US iso manjaro
launch a browser on this topic
open a terminal

inxi -Fza 
sudo manjaro-chroot -a
journalctl -b -1 -p4
mhwd-kernel -li
mhwd-kernel -l
pacman -Syy
mhwd-kernel -i linux511
exit ( end chroot )

then reboot

1 Like

I am typing this on my android phone.

I attempted to run the commands you requested. Most of them gave me errors. I was able to run the last two lines with the sudo command (otherwise it said I needed super user ) it did update some scripts. Then I rebooted. Now manjaro will load, but it freezes about 2 minutes after start. At least it is loading now. I have a very limited window to write commands into terminal. Then it freezes. Any other suggestions?

boot on USB iso manjaro ( not your disk , live )
open a browser on this topic
and terminal and provide

inxi -Fza ( returns info here ) 

sudo manjaro-chroot -a
pacman-mirrors -c all 
pacman -Syyu
mhwd-kernel -li (returns versions installed )
exit ( end-chroot)

then reboot press Esc to see Grub appears
choose another version kernel

Thanks for the info. Since your last post I have had significant difficulties. If I let windows load. It goes into my bios and disables secure boot. Then I have to spend 30 minutes fiddling with it just to figure out how to re-enable secure boot so I can just load from the usb!

I did run the commands. on the:
1.manjaro-chroot -a #it did load me into the manjaro root access, but did not find -a
2.pacman -mirrors c all #it did not find c all
3. here is the version: 5.9.16-1-Manjaro (linux59) kernel is linux59

when I reload, the only options for boot when i hit f11 for my asrock motherboard (x570 Phantom 4) is Windows boot manager

unless, like I said, i have to disable csm so I can enable secure boot, then load eufi boot defaults, just so I can load from the usb again (and not the eufi/usb, i cant get that to be an option again for the life of me). Manjaro loading from the hard drive is not an option at all.

I am not sure what to do next. I really appreciate your help.

I take it back. I am able to load into Manjaro from the boot menu after hitting f11.

I did not realize the computer is seeing the boot image as the name of my hard drive “NVME: Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000.”

When I do load it from there, manjaro loads, but freezes about 20 seconds after it lands on the home screen.

Another update. I was able to figure out on my bios “exit” screen, there is a boot override. There all the bootable drives where listed. When I clicked on one it loaded immediately. So, having figured that out, I loaded the eufi/usb for the live manjaro. I then installed it in that environment. Now the computer boots to the Manjaro option screen! The only thing is when I load into the manjaro version on the hard drive it still freezes about twenty to thirty seconds after loading. I feel like I need to update the kernel from the live usb environment then maybe…

If you have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

boot only on USB live iso
open a terminal and a browser on this topic for report ( for inxi and version kernels installed )

inxi -Fza
sudo manjaro-chroot -a
mhwd-kernel -li
exit ( quit chroot )

I am trying to post the inxi print out, but the forum keeps saying I can’t post links.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your devic
e.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your devic
e.map.
==> Detected systems:
→ 0) ManjaroLinux
==> Select system to mount [0-0] :
==> ERROR: You can’t mount 0!

sudo mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO (linux59)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
warning: database file for ‘core’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘extra’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘community’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘multilib’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)

• linux59
    warning: database file for ‘core’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
    warning: database file for ‘extra’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
    warning: database file for ‘community’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
    warning: database file for ‘multilib’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)

try with 1 ( not zero )

[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO (linux59)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux59

so you boot on USB iso manjaro ( live)
open a terminal

sudo manjaro-chroot -a ( enter 1 if only one line )
pacman-mirrors -c all
pacman -Syyu
mhwd-kernel -i linux54
mhwd-kernel -i linux510
mhwd-kernel -i linux511
mhwd-kernel -r linux59
exit ( quit chroot )

then reboot press Esc to see Grub
and select another kernel

I think I am just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, but I am trying to remedy that, lol. At this point, after multiple attempts, I was able to update my installed manjaro os on my hard drive. It will load up most of the time. but sometimes it still freezes or loads without connecting to the wired connection and I have to restart.

If I understand the above commands, you want me to remove linux59 kernel and install 54, 510, and 511. then reboot and choose one. Where I am a little fuzzy is on two things. First, now that I am on a mostly stable os, do you still think I should try one of the others? Second, when you say, “then reboot press Esc to see Grub
and select another kernel,” I don’t know what you mean. When do I press esc? On the boot screen, or on the landing screen where I see the option for manjaro or windows? Do I reboot into the usb live, and does it matter if I use the eufi boot or just regular usb boot? Am i trying to get to a grub command line? And, once there how do I choose another kernel? I feel silly to ask because it seems so simple.

Just an update. I want to be sure you know I am running KDE. Also in “Manjaro Settings Manager” I found a link to the Kernel. It seems to be able to install another kernel right there. I see:
5.11.1-1
510.18-1
5.9.16-1 Installed and running
5.4.100-1 LTS, recommended

Agian if 59 is currently working. Let me know if you suggest trying another one.

don’t sudo for that.

Somewhere in all this, it worked. The linux 59 kernel I am using is stable. Everything seems to work well. If your system is having difficulties. Especially on boot up.

1. For new systems. Make sure you load into the usb live environment with the eufi/usb option. Then install Manjaro. After that follow Stephanie’s steps.

2. Windows boot manager is brutal. It doesn’t play nice with other os’s. If you have trouble (like the eufi/usb disappears), look for a boot override. For my Asrock motherboard, it was on the exit screen (that would have saved me a bunch of time had I clicked on that sooner).

3. Don’t give up. Linux distros are not as polished and supported as Windows, but you can learn to do amazing things with them. And the community here on Manjaro is second to none.

I have started making my way through the book, “The Linux Command Line.” I am looking forward to knowing more. If anyone has any other books to help me learn I would love the suggestions. But that may be a topic for another post. Thanks everyone.