UEFI Install Issues

grub
xfce

Good morning,

I am trying out Manjaro for the first time, in fact, Linux for the first time having done some research on different operating systems and I am struggling to install Manjaro. I have the following setup so far…

Windows 8.1 64-bit GPT on HP G3 250 Laptop

I used Rufus to make a UEFI USB install for Manjaro since I had this setup with Windows 8.1 and always used it when formatting and reinstalling on this laptop and I keep getting it going into a GRUB error when booting from the USB…

Error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>

I want to delete the Windows 8.1 installation and put this on as my only OS so unsure what I am doing wrong if anyone can help? It is 1am here in the UK so good night and thank you in advance!

In Rufus, use dd to put it on your USB. Then boot into your USB via UEFI.

Thank you, I managed to fix it now and have it installed - just to figure out things now!

Welcome to Linux!
It may be a struggle at first, but it is well worth it! I don’t ever want to go to Windows again. Although you will have to learn few things over time.

Btw, would you please mark second post as solution to your problem (click on check-mark at the bottom of second post). That way others will know you don’t need a help any more :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind, here are few quick tips from beginner to beginner: :wink:

& Welcome to Manjaro :slight_smile:

• Looks like Xfce is the most stable and boring Manjaro flavor and probably best for beginner.

• Use stable version.

• You can use Graphical system updater but it is slightly safer to use command line:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Actually sometimes there is a requirement to not use GUI updater. How do you know? Always check first post of system update announcement like this one:

• don’t rush with stable update, wait at least few hours, I usually wait one day or until I see 100 votes in first post, that way I can see several users post their findings and possible problems, so I’m aware if something may goes wrong & what are solutions.

• always read posts where update is announced, there you will typically find solutions and suggestions, what to do in what examples

• learn to ‘tty’ - which means, know how to switch from graphical user interface to terminal. Very useful, when you may experience some graphical / video drivers problems. Your GUI will not load but you can use terminal by switching to tty by simultaneously pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2. (Actually Ctrl + Alt + F3 is even better since it is non GUI console) You will be asked to enter your user name and password. From there you will be able to remove/install packages and do other necessary work to get your system back to normal state. When GUI works, you can switch back to GUI with Ctrl + Alt + F7 (on Manjaro, different Linux may use different Fx). When GUI is not working you will need to restart your system from the terminal.

• most importantly, learn how to backup your system. If you backup whole hdd before system update, you can easily restore it if something goes wrong and you can’t fix it any other way. Some are using clonezilla. If you have external HDD or another HDD in your system, use it to back up the system. Here is a good tutorial how to do it, step by step:
    How to backup your system using Clonezilla

• learn how to chroot. Maybe one day you will need to use chroot (change root) to access your system from live USB/DVD. You can do this in any linux, with any live USB/DVD linux. You could use Ubuntu live disk for example. But if you use Manjaro live disk, then you have at disposal tool, that makes process simpler easier and faster, since you can skip few steps. here is a good tutorial how to do it:
    How to save your Manjaro installation when it breaks

• AUR is huge universe of additional programs. Super stuff. But as a beginner you want to stay away as much as possible. It can cause some problems. Just thought to let you know.

When (if) you will need help, good folks here will need some information from your system in order to try to help you. So, when you ask for help, it is a good idea, to provide information you get by running this command in the terminal:

inxi -Fxzc0 <= information about your system

If you suspect you may have graphic/video driver problem, you can add this output:

hwinfo --gfxcard
mhwd -li <= info what graphic drivers are installed

Say you have problem with running some Manjaro program/package. Say it does not start. Run it from the terminal and copy/paste error code here and someone may be able to help you.

Also, generally it is considering as a good sport to, before asking a question, search forum to make sure it has not already been asked and answered. Generally. You are new to Linux, just come here and ask :slight_smile:

What I did when I started (still beginner myself), I followed steps from upper chroot guide and did it once in advance so i was familiar with the steps and the process. I’m glad I did. Later I decided to mess with graphic driver , trying to install some different one (I’m not doing this any more :wink:) and I broke my system. Someone here helped me, but it was helpful I already knew how to chroot. This ‘chroot’ is not Manjaro specific, you may need to use it on any Linux system to get yourself out of trouble. The only difference is, with Manjaro steps are easier. Don’t be afraid to try it.

Sooner or later you may experience some problems. But good folks here will help you and you will over time learn how to help yourself. Keep your live USB/DVD Manjaro handy, you may need in future to chroot into your system. (access your installed system through live USB/DVD) Once you will do it you will feel less helpless :slight_smile:

Check out this “Tutorials” category, lots of good stuff in there:

Also keep an eye on this one; Read questions and answers/solutions and start making yourself a cheat sheet:

Wiki:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Lastly, as new in Linux world, you entered a beautiful although different world that will require from you some time to learn it. If you experience too many troubles, don’t give up. You will be rewarded! If it gets too hard/complicated reading announcements and you want something a little bit easier, Mint may be more suitable for beginners. Typically you don’t need to keep an eye on announcements and updates. I started with Mint. But Manjaro is the best. You eventually end up here :wink:

Thank you for the reply and links, I will be sure to check them out. I am accustomed to using CentOS to install servers for gaming and their commands, just not using it as a desktop flavor (Linux that is).

I’ve issued with the WiFi but I will check through and make another thread I guess as another issue if I cannot find a solution?

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.