UEFI Boot Dual Boot Issues

Hello,
New Manjaro user and I must have missed something during the install. I am dual booting with Windows 10 GPT disk. I previously had Linux Mint 19 but I overwrote that partition when installing Manjaro. I turned of Secure Boot and was able to install Manjara on the old Mint partition. Here is where the problems begin. After rebooting the PC I am getting a screen that says:

GNU Grub 2.02
Minimal Bash Line editing is supported. Tap for list of possible command completions

Appreciate any assistance I can get.

I am able to boot in to Manjaro if I use the USB live disc I created.

Tips for posting

Start from here

1 Like

I think the installer needs improvements. Comparing it to installer of other linux distros, there’s a part, usually the last step in the process detailing the bootloader installation.

You might have missed setting /dev/sda2 (the FAT32 EFI partition that windows uses) as mount point for /boot/efi/. That happened to me too, I am only 3 days old Manjaro user. I fixed that by reinstalling grub from the live usb. The solution is somewhere in the forums, I can’t remember the link, but I remember the forumer who knows the answer to these problems goes by the name gohlip.

1 Like

Ok…here is what I have working with Fast Boot and Secure Boot turned off otherwise I get the errors in original post.

Am I missing a step?

Yes. You missed a post

This part

UEFI - additional commands

If system is uefi, the following additional commands are required at the end of step 6.

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -L "Manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

Note the second command above is for $esp (/boot/efi) in sda2.

Do these from your booted Manjaro installation.

I have done those two commands and still have the same result. Do I need to reinstall Grub after this?

The procedure is, 1st install Grub then the commands.
Do it and then check the boot order. As it is explained in the tutorial.

efibootmgr -v

If it still fails, provide the needed info from your installation (boot by ISO Efi finder) to get assistance on fixing it.

efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
findmnt /boot/efi

Even I had to do live USB grub install and adding boot manager bit and I was thinking if this is something missing on installer. However,in this wiki guide on dual booting manjaro, it is advised to have a separate /boot/efi.

The guide reflects my experience and the problems I have faced.

They are not official by any means but is my personal experience.

You are not required to use this guide - the guide is just a bunch of advice which you choose to use or let be.

1 Like

I am sure this guide will definitely help people and we will see fewer posts related to issues with dual booting/UEFI/GRub etc on this forum. :+1:

I will try a fresh install using your guide on the weekend. It’s Friday evening and having a few pints with friends.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.