Ubuntu drops 32bit

High time!
Just like abandoning Flash should be done much faster.

So, what distro’s will actually support 32-bit/i686 in 2018?

We should put a list together. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hm, I doubt much of the 32bit hardware will survive - technically and morally - until 2021, the year when LTS for 16.04 ends.

Looks like Void may be one of them. Rolling, independent, light, robust & no system-d (runit)

https://www.voidlinux.eu/

I’m sure there will be alternatives for at least another 5 years.

Yes, we should put a list together. I’ll start with Debian - what’s their stance actually?

You inspired me to create this topic:

is doesn’t surprise me at all that most Linux distributions are dropping the 32-bit ISO I’m sure it will be easier for the developers to focus on the latest 64 bit versions. At some point were are going to have to put these old gals to rest anyway

I only had one 32 bit laptop which I no longer have so all my machine can handle 64 bit ISO’s

I believe it is not the entire Ubuntu project dropping i386, but only the flagship desktop edition, to be based on Gnome when 17.10 is released. The article notes that the minimal / net edition still supports i386. I predict it will for some time as it is useful for such things a specialized containers, IOT, and the like. This will allow the “flavours” to continue to support i386. For example, when Kubuntu needed i386 testers, volunteers stepped up, and I expect Ubuntu Kylin and Lubuntu will also want to continue to support i386 at least for the 18.04 LTS.

I would expect at least Lubuntu to support 32bit machines for a long time, since they are the “lightweight” version of the distro.

Ubuntu dropping 32-bit ISO’s have been known for some time.
The real question is, how long until their 32-bit repository goes away?
That’s the real nail in the coffin.

Yeah, and no protests from thousands of “lightweight” derivatives will stop Canonical. Even LTS can be cancelled, why not?

I personally welcome this change.

I still remember the days where 32bit was all the rage with Windows XP and after Vista, 32bit was becoming less relevant.

This concerns me somewhat, because I prefer running a lot of specific favorite 32-bit Windows VST instruments and effects via 32-bit WINE-staging. According to WineHQ, 32-bit WINE is typically more stable than 64-bit WINE. This seems to be true in my experiences.

It also concerns me because I tend to buy used computers for really cheap.
Discontinuing what’s needed to save old computers turns still-functional devices which can be turned into fun gear into garbage. It’s just plain wasteful.

Hopefully at least a handful of distros will continue 32-bit support. I am hoping that Lubuntu and Xubuntu continue with it. I am currently running Xubuntu but am about to hop to Manjaro because it seems better supported and I prefer the rolling release model. Lubuntu, which I’ve also tried multiple times, is nice. It has some individuality in terms of both support and implementation. However, it’s always lacking a few basic features I need for my digital audio workstation and I don’t know how to get them otherwise (i did try though).

This also seems like it could be bad news for a few of the Puppy Linuxes which have Ubuntu compatibility.

Nevertheless, I finally went to 64-bit because there are now more 64-bit used hardwares even though /PAE solves some issues.

Ubuntu MATE will continue having a 32-bit iso available, according to (developer) Martin Wimpress, quoted on the dedicated Ubuntu Mate Forum:

Martin Wimpress:
Not Ubuntu MATE. Each flavour has their own choice.
All that has changed is that Ubuntu will not release 32-bit isos. The 32-bit archive remains and will continue to be updated and maintained by them.

source

libraries and tools are still available in 32 bit everywhere.
You simply won’t be able to install newer linux releases on 32-bit hardware because only 64bit install media and kernels will be available.

Or in other words: You don’t have to cripple your system by installing a 32 bit OS to use 32 bit programs.
You can also run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS. The other way round is not possible though.