uboot.img does not exist in /boot

I am trying to update my system and there is a message to flash the new uboot img files in /boot idbloader.img is there, but uboot.img is not. Where would this file be? do I have to rename u-boot.itb?

First off, you don't need to flash new uboot files each time uboot gets updated.

Secondly, what device do you have?

Thirdly, I might have forgotten to change the message entirely when I updated the packages. You should flasg u-boot.itb instead of uboot.img.

I think I messed up with this too. After running sudo pacman -Syyu I ran both dd commands listed. The first succeeded. The second one failed. I stupidly powered down my Pinebook Pro. Now I can't boot it.

Do you have a copy of the files I can dd from using my backup Debian microSD?

The files are on your install. Just mount your install from the debian install and execute the commands there. Be aware that the placement of the target device might have changed.

What were the commands?

It might be wise to delete the first 8 MB of the disk first with:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblkX bs=1M count=8

And then proceed with these commands from within the root folder of the Manjaro install:

sudo dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=64 conv=notrunc
sudo dd if=/boot/u-boot.itb of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=16384 conv=notrunc

Remember to double check your target device with lsblk.

1 Like

Thank you. The reason I thought I had to flash the uboot update is because the output of pacman said to do this:

A new U-Boot version needs to be flashed onto /dev/mmcblkX.
You can do this by running:

dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=64 conv=notrunc

dd if=/boot/u-boot.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=16384 conv=notrunc

I know. It's a bit misleading.

I will probably make the message a bit more clear in future updates.

Annoyingly, even when I insert a microSD card with a different image on it, it still won't boot. I've had to take the back off to remove the eMMC card for now. I tried reattaching it after boot, but if I do that blkid can't see it. I might have to try and buy one of the eMMC-to-USB adaptors and try to run the dd commands that way.

Hello,

I just installed Manjaro on the eMMC of my Pinebook Pro. I used pacman to upgrade my system and got the message to write these files (idbloader.img, u-boot.img)with dd to mmcblkX. But what is the right mmcblk for the dd as target for dd? I have mmcblk2 with a partition on it, which is obviously my eMMC disk and I have mmcblk2boot0 and mmcblk2boot1, both 4M in size. Do these disks play any part in booting with u-boot?

Yours sincerely
Stefan

I am pretty sure the message reads write u-boot.itb with DD, not u-boot.img.

It also tells you how o find out what device you should write it to. Use lsblk to determine your eMMC device.

This is the complete text:
A new U-Boot version needs to flashed onto your install drive. Please use lsblk to determine your drive, before proceeding.
You can do this by running

dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=64 conv=notrunc

dd if=/boot/u-boot.itb of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=16384 conv=notrunc

My eMMC is mmcblk2 and has a partition on called mmcblk2p1. And then there are the two 4MB drives called mmcblkboot0 and 1. Can anyone explain to me what these two are for or point me in the direction of the documentation for these questions?

Yours
Stefan

They are not used in Manjaro for sure.
I think Android might be using them for something. I don't know what though.

Thanks. Am I correct in assuming that I have to dd directly to mmcblk2 and not the partition on it?

Yes. It's directly to the block device, not the partition.

Forum kindly sponsored by