Time zone not being accurately applied when set

I have my timezone is set for US Eastern, but Manjaro Cinnamon shows a completely different time in the taskbar. It affects web pages I use to order food because it thinks I am in another timezone. Included is a photo of my problem. Has anyone else encountered this?

Dual booting with Windows? This should help

In cinnamon use ā€œSystem Settingsā€ ā€œManjaro Settings Managerā€ ā€œTime and Dateā€.
This overrides cinnamonā€™s ā€œDate and Time Settingsā€

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, but Iā€™m not dual booting with windows. I wiped the drive and installed Manjaro Cinnamon.

Thank you so much. That fixed my issue. :star_struck:

Hi, i was searching for a post like this one, but, it shall work for manjaro xfce too? (as my example).
I have a dual boot with windows 10, and it changes the clock everytime i change the sistem, but not only this, manjaro dont set my timezone where it shall be without only using manjaro as invidual system, i say this because actually i have a dual boot, but for months i had manjaro in a completely different ssd from the windows one (and changed bettwen SO using the bios).

For dual boot time issue, you need to set Manjaro or Windows (one or the other) to use the same way of storing time in motherboard than the other system.

Manjaro uses UTC time, Windows uses local time. If you search about this topic you will find plenty of answers on how to do that on Windows or Manjaro.

Thanks, i ll try it, didnt know about it.

Execute in the terminal command:
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

Linux starts to read bios time as a local datetime. Windows does not support any other behaviour.
It does not depend on the your desktop environment.

Who are you talking to? The last post was in April 2022.

Anyway unless windows 11 has gone backwards in this regard, then it does support UTC, you just need to configure it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time#UTC_in_Microsoft_Windows

Itā€™s also advised to not use localtime.

If multiple operating systems are installed on a machine, they will all derive the current time from the same hardware clock: it is recommended to set it to UTC to avoid conflicts across systems. Otherwise, if the hardware clock is set to localtime, more than one operating system may adjust it after a DST change for example, thus resulting in an over-correction; problems may also arise when traveling between different time zones and using one of the operating systems to reset the system/hardware clock.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.