Tuxedo Pulse 14 Gen1

Working fine on kde plasma just tested. :smiley:

I’m also now on KDE Plasma. And my Keyboard backlight will always stay on and does not dim if i’m not typing. Or is there something to set inside the KDE settings ?

Oh I don’t think n that’s a feature.
I only tested on or off and not for on with dimming when not in use.
Usually I keep it off unless I need it at night.

I am more concerned about usb-c charging.

Update. Found out it need atleast 65W above to charge which is normal for laptops so now i have my fingers crossed hoping the hp dock should be able to charge my laptop once it arrives. :slight_smile:

I also have a Tuxedo Pulse 14 Gen1. I have all the same problems as @BeNe when trying to use Manjaro XFce. After a fresh installation (default Manjaro XFce or Achitect ISOs) I manage to login the first time without problems. From after that, lightdm just fails. I can start it manually but this is not ideal.

Regarding the Function keys, keyboard light, I have the same problems as @BeNe

Overall I am disappointed with Tuxedo Computers. Even their WebFAI install of Manjaro XFce results in a system that fails to boot (watchdog locking up CPUs) which I have contact TuxedoComputers about but so far I have no reply :frowning:

Welcome to the club @danoselti :crazy_face:

I’m back on XFCE and still search for solutions.

I’m pretty sure that you won’t receive any official support from Tuxedo in that Manajro case. They have special edition Notebooks with Manjaro. The Pulse 14 Gen has only their full TuxedoOS (Ubuntu) support. But i would be happy if you can prove me wrong.

I’m still searching for a lightdm solution. But could not find a good workaround.
I switched to sddm instead of lightdm which works so far. But it feels completely wrong since you need more KDE packages to configure it complete. I also installed haveged to be sure to have enough entropy, since there are many posts around with lightdm about it. But that’s not the trick.

The Problem with the touchpad still exists. May we need to switch to the synaptic packages instead of libinput. On the other hand, there is reddit topic “Pulse 14 touchpad palm rejection ‘fix’ (libinput)” that could be a dirty fix.

My problem list is growing as the keyboard backlight sometimes fails completely after a reboot. Had the same problem before under TuxedoOS. But there this behavior was fixed.

Hopefully we get the problems fixed and all functions running, not only Plasma.

Hello @danoselti & @BeNe

I will try to run XFCE for you guy on my Pulse 14 as I represent Manjaro Team.

I will see what I can do to make keyboard and trackpad to work on XFCE.

Don’t be disappointed as Tuxedo never promised Manjaro Support on Pulse 14 while I was curious to have an AMD laptop so slowly we can update our pkgs to adapt to Pulse 14/15 requirements.
They have good Manjaro support for their InfinityBook Series.

Let us all work together to fix things in XFCE ?
Can we start with a list of thing which are not working in XFCE while it is working on Plasma ?

1 Like

@spikerguy Wow - this is awesome! I appreciate. Thank you very much.
I will support you and everybody that’s with us as good as i could. Yes, we need to define a list.

Problems in my case:

1.) LightDM

• Sometimes a blackscreen during boot (have to switch to tty2 and “startxfce4” on my own)
  • I enabled Autologin wich also sometimes works and sometimes not (so i have to enter my password)

2.) Trackpad

• Unable to lock/unlock the trackpad with FN+F9 or with a double tap on the Trackpad-LED
  • Trackpad-LED is not working at all (but this is more a general problem)

3.) Keyboard

• Backlight is always on. It does not shutdown the LED’s if the Keyboard is not used (after a timeout)

4.) Suspend

• I’m not really sure at this point. Two times my device was closed but not sent into suspend mode. Therefor the battery was empty. But in all other situations (~ 20 events) it worked well.

My Setup to compare:

• Installed via Architect
  • LUKE Crypt / LVM / Btrfs with subvolumes
  • XFCE Full install
  • ZSH as default
  • Kernel 5.11
  • Kernel Headers for 5.11
  • Tuxedo packages from offical Manjaro Repo

Just to be clear, i’m not against Tuxedo here in any way! The Pulse 14 works just fine with the default Tuxedo_OS. Yes i had some problems in the beginning but they fixed the problems with a Bios Update.

Manjaro was my personal choice for the Pulse and so it is clear to me that Tuxedo will not and cannot support this setup. I could have bought a Manjaro special edition notebook to be 100% sure that everything works as expected under Manjaro. But as you can see Manjaro != Manajro because of the many flavours like Plasma, XFCE, Gnome…

Cheers,
BeNe

1 Like

Doubt we can do anything about this until its fixed upstream. But we can report it.

Same for suspend but can be looked into.
We can start work on trackpad and keyboard for now. :slight_smile:

Doubt we can do anything about this until its fixed upstream. But we can report it.

Done → Not showing any login screen · Issue #165 · canonical/lightdm · GitHub

Same for suspend but can be looked into.

I will collect some more usefull informations about that problem if it happend again.

We can start work on trackpad and keyboard for now.

Ok, let’s start! :grinning:
If i press the trackpad lock (FN+F9) i have these log lines in my dmesg log:

[ 1321.054309] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xf8 on isa0060/serio0).
[ 1321.054324] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e078 <keycode>' to make it known.
[ 1321.599096] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xf8 on isa0060/serio0).
[ 1321.599112] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e078 <keycode>' to make it known.

What @vinzv has already mentioned, that this not an error! So for my understanding we need to catch that keycode and forward it to “a lock trackpad” function ?

1 Like

I didn’t know that there is such a function. But I noticed without the module tuexdo_io, the keyboard backlight shuts down after 1 minute without any keystroke.

Yes downloading the XFCE image now.

Yes I will compare it to the kde key functions to find what is missing in the xfce setup.

@spikerguy is there anything on information that i can provide and support ?

@xabbu Is there any downside or missing function if i disable the tuxedo_io module ? My keyboard backlight is always on and stays on - with and without keystroke.

Without the module the tuxedo control center is useless. I don’t know any other downside, but I not really test it. I normally don’t remove this module, I was just playing around.

However, I also noticed, sometimes after resume from hibernation(maybe 1 in 6 times), the keyboard backlight turns automatically off without typing, even with the tuxed_io module loaded.

No nothing didn’t get time to install it yet. Hopefully soon. Been super busy at work.

@danoselti There is possible solution for the LightDM problem inside the ArchWiki–> LightDM - ArchWiki.
Got that hint from here → Not showing any login screen · Issue #165 · canonical/lightdm · GitHub
I set the option also, but i still need some more reboots to be sure that the problem is fixed.

Finally got sometime to install xfce on some empty space I had on my nvme.

after installation I was greated with lightdm failing while it works fine from tty2 on manual start.

I remember some fix for it when I was playing with Beelink GTR. I will look into it tomorrow as most of my time was wasted on grub removing my KDE OS from the list making me scared, finally enabling OS_PROBER fixed it.

See you’ll tomorrow with some more update.
Keyboard works only touchpad on/off key is understood as something else. Will look deeper into it tomorrow hopefully.

1 Like

Small update:
I tried to add amdgpu to mkinitcpio.conf and that didn’t help in fixing the lightdm failure on boot. Next I will enable lightdm logs and see whats causing it to fail.

@spikerguy
Did you already tried that workaround i mention two posts before ?
Adjust lightdm.conf under [LightDM] and add

logind-check-graphical=true

Works fine for me since 5 days.

1 Like

I will try this now.

Thanks.

Update

This fixed the lightdm issue.

1 Like

There is a new EC Update for the Pulse 14 available:

Pulse 14 Gen1 EC -> 1.07.30.00 (23.03.2021 10:54)

That should fix the LED for the Touchpad. But since this function (en-/disable touchpad) isn’t working as expect in XFCE on Manjaro, i’m unable to test it.