Cups & Paused printer

Very very occasionally I have had to resume my printer using Cups, no big issue.

Today after sending two small print jobs from mousepad the printer went to paused state after the first print. I tried to resume using Cups but get: “Unable to do maintenance command Forbidden”

System is fully up to date.

Printer is HP Officejet Pro 8710 which has worked perfectly with Manjaro. Can open the printer web page ok so not connectivity.

Tried HPLIB & that also shows as Stopped & just hangs if I click Start Printer, but that software has never been good.

Printer works as a copier ok & prints status reports showing no issues.

Haven’t had to do this for some months so may not be a recent issue.

I enabled Cups logging debug & found these entries

[Client 42] HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)

and

[Client 43] Returning HTTP Forbidden for Resume-Printer (ipp://localhost/printers/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8710) from localhost

At a bit of a loss, got to be something simple i’m missing here.

Read from this comment onward [SOLVED] HP Printer Issues / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have found the issue.

I don’t yet understand why but if I login to Cups when it asks for authentication with the user as “root” & password it works perfectly. As my user name it doesn’t. I have sudo rights so don’t quiet understand it.

I’m not quite sure what’s changed but I must have done something. If I ever get to the root (sorry) of it I will post what I find.

I now completely trust driver less IPP printing. As such I have absolutely no installed printers in cups and my printers front-end in settings shows nothing when wifi printers are turned off. When turning any printer on, the system detects it automatically and I can easily send print instructions. However, page data loading takes a bit more time than if I did the same from my Android phone. Hope this helps.

Try adding your user to the ‘cups’ group. After relogin you should be able to do administrative tasks with your printer.