Trying to identify a crash

System:
Host: headaches Kernel: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.14.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux

So im not sure if its because if its because the pc has been on for a few hours and it crashes or its because im downloading and it happens or something else

the crash is happening more regular now though

i used this command
journalctl --since “2020-12-15 14:25:00” --until “2020-12-15 14:30:00”

to identify when it crashed and why but how does one identify a crash when there not so good a linux

what sorta oddities am i looking for?

First it would be good if you could describe the crashes in more detail.
Like does the system/screen freezes, does it turn off, is the pc rebooting, etc…

Besides software (linux) also the hardware can fail. What system are you using, desktop or laptop?
Are you monitoring the temperatures? Maybe the system gets to hot…

Give this one a try:
journalctl -b -p err

2 Likes

hey. That gave me errors for something else. i dont think is related i can paste here if you want

journalctl -b -p err
-- Logs begin at Wed 2020-06-10 07:20:04 IST, end at Wed 2020-12-16 14:15:21 GMT. --
Dec 16 14:10:04 headaches systemd-modules-load[217]: Failed to find module 'platform-integrity'
Dec 16 14:10:06 headaches systemd-udevd[258]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device
Dec 16 14:10:37 headaches pulseaudio[946]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a >
lines 1-4/4 (END)

Question. would i run your command after iv rebooted from the crash?

Unfortunately, this is way above my pay grade. I knew that command and thought it might provide a hint as to what the problem may be. It would be useful if you would provide an inxi as Merlock’s post suggests so a better qualified forum member may assist.

so from my understanding it seems to happen while im downloading

i could be wrong though
i do know it does NOT happen on windows

Two people asked you for more info so they could try to help you, but you ignored them. :man_facepalming:

My guess is you’re running out of ram and have no swap. :slight_smile:

my idiot self did not see what jrichard said in the latter half of his message

this is the inxi

Blockquote
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i5-3570K (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 2540/1600/3800 MHz
Kernel: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 1h 45m Mem: 2704.7/7923.8 MiB (34.1%)
Storage: 4.55 TiB (37.5% used) Procs: 226 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.1.08

so i think i have a bad memory slot iv been doing memtests and i think i have 1 slot that has gone bad
so im currently running scans atm

"Two people asked you for more info so they could try to help you, but you ignored them. :man_facepalming:

My guess is you’re running out of ram and have no swap."

sorry for ignoring everyone it wasnt intentional