Trouble with Nvidia Graphics Driver Installation on Manjaro

Hello Manjaro community,

I hope this message finds you well. I recently decided to switch from Fedora 38 to Manjaro due to some challenges I encountered with the Fedora 39 update. However, I am currently facing difficulties in getting the Nvidia graphics driver to work properly on my system.

Hereā€™s a brief overview of the issue:

• I installed Manjaro this morning.
  • I have two external monitors connected to my laptop, but unfortunately, I am unable to get any display on the external monitors.
  • Upon downloading and installing the Nvidia driver from the official website, the external monitors start working, but the laptopā€™s built-in display goes black.
  • If I uninstall the driver, the laptop display works again, but the external monitors go blank.

This seems to be a frustrating loop, and Iā€™m seeking guidance on resolving this issue.

Moderator edit: Removed screenshots of terminal output

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Never install Nvidia drivers from a third-party website. Always use the drivers provided in the repository.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I also tried this command too.

sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms

I think, if you ran the install script from the website, that there is a uninstall script that gets installed.
Run that to uninstall then install correctly

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please see:

If you chose proprietary drivers when booting the live ISO, you already have the NVIDIA proprietary drivers installed.

:warning: Do not install them from the NVIDIA website. Remove them the same way you installed them.

See Configure NVIDIA (non-free) settings and load them on Startup - Manjaro

Note that Iā€™ve removed your screenshots of terminal output from your first post. Please copy and paste terminal output using preformatted text instead of uploading screenshots of text.

Each image uploaded to the server makes forum database backups larger. Search engines cannot read screenshots and one cannot copy and paste from them without an OCR program.

Please edit your post accordingly.

3 Likes

OK thanks for your answers. I will try your solution and write the result. :slight_smile:

Firstly, I completely removed the Nvidia driver. Then I reinstalled it by following the steps in the links you shared.

I used this command for installation:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
There was no change after that. My external monitors were still not working. Then I uninstalled the drivers again and made a fresh installation using this command:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
During this installation, external monitors worked, but the main screen of the laptop did not work. Just a black screen comes up.

optimus ā€¦ hybrid ā€¦ dual-gpu ?

The first command probably automatically gave you prime (nvidia not enabled until using prime-run), and your monitors are plugged into the nvidia gpu.

The second command would install nvidia only ā€¦ leaving your integrated GPU disabled.

I think that it is optimus. Can you check it?

lspci | grep -i vga                                                                         ī‚² 1 āœ˜ 

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation AD107M [GeForce RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile] (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Phoenix1 (rev c2)

nvidia-smi                                                                                    ī‚² āœ” 
Fri Dec  1 23:11:45 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 545.29.06              Driver Version: 545.29.06    CUDA Version: 12.3     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 ...    Off | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| N/A   34C    P8               4W /  60W |    677MiB /  8188MiB |      7%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A       775      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                               205MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A       860      G   /usr/bin/kwalletd5                            2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A       929      G   /usr/bin/ksmserver                            2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A       931      G   /usr/bin/kded5                                2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A       932      G   /usr/bin/kwin_x11                            53MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A       963      G   /usr/bin/plasmashell                         38MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1003      G   ...b/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1        2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1005      G   /usr/lib/xdg-desktop-portal-kde               2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1101      G   /usr/bin/msm_kde_notifier                     2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1104      G   /usr/lib/kdeconnectd                          2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1127      G   /usr/bin/kaccess                              2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1131      G   /usr/bin/pamac-tray-plasma                    2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1285      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox                    319MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1431      G   /usr/bin/konsole                              2MiB |

mhwd -l gives you a list of what the system suggests for you.

mhwd -l                                                                           
> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2023.09.12                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:28e0) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:05:00.0 (0300:1002:15bf) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

There you go.

I installed driver with this command. Now external monitors are not working. Laptop screen is working

sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime

I think you have to configure reverse prime for that.

I am in no way any expert in the matter, I was actually going to start playing around with it tomorrow.

But you can take a look at this that is referenced in the link I posted earlier.
https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/450.57/README/randr14.html

But there is also something called optimus that is a laptop thing, that I have even less knowledge about. Also referenced in the link I posted earlier.

??

Optimus is/was the code used to refer to nvidia+iGPU setups, thats all.
Anything else is some utility or other reference to it (ā€œoptimus laptopā€, ā€œoptimus tweaksā€. etc)

I think my reading comprehension is at least on an ā€˜acceptableā€™ level.
I do feel I sometimes struggle to understand your attitudeā€¦

My attitude is that it is GREAT if you want to help OP, but tagging me with a quote and then respond ā€œ??ā€ when I CLEARLY state I do not have knowledge about it.

If it is unclear why I do not appreciate that, well. I guess I cant be mad at you for not understanding.
Please donā€™t.

Thank you for trying to help me. I am sorry that there was an argument between you. Based on this information, I created a new xorg.conf file. I added the screens inside conf. file. The current situation is that external monitors are working, but the laptopā€™s screen is not working.

xrandr --listproviders                                                                   
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x1b7 cap: 0x0 crtcs: 4 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-0
Provider 1: id: 0x209 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 9 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 545.29.06

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "layout"
    Screen      0  "nvidia" 0 0
    Screen      1  "MonitorLeft" RightOf "nvidia"
    Screen      2  "MonitorRight" RightOf "MonitorLeft"
    Inactive       "intel"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor2"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "intel"
    Driver         "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Device         "nvidia"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "PrimaryGPU" "yes"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "MonitorLeft"
    Device         "nvidia"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "MonitorRight"
    Device         "nvidia"
    Monitor        "Monitor2"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Since I have very little knowledge about this I am not the correct person for this, I donā€™t have a laptop with optimus (if that is even a thing you can use, I do not know)
There was a rescent thread talking about these things, let me see if I can find it.
There: GPU switch and second monitor

Read that thread, optimus manager is maybe something you can use?

I THINK that has to do with reverse prime, itā€™s mentioned in the wiki. Your NVIDIA is probably connected to one of those things and your iGPU to the others, you have to reroute the video to all ports, but again, I have VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS!
Start reading here and downwards, maybe you find something to help you: Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro (reverse prime is also linked in that article)

Hoping that someone else can come in and give you more explicit advice, I sadly can not help you more, but I also do not want to leave you hanging. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for everything. The graphics card driver bothered me a lot. Thatā€™s why I decided to delete Manjaro and install another distro.