Trouble while updating AUR packages

I am trying to do the usual update through pamac. I get an error:

bsdtar: Option --no-read-sparse not supported

and then

ERROR: Failed to create package file.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bsdtar? Are you building an updated PKGBUILD from the AUR as a part of this update?

If you want help, then post full output in a preformatted text, not just few random lines.

Also did you try googling any of your lines? I got result in 5 seconds.

I got the same error when I tried to use the trizen to update some packages. Here’s one example:

==> Checking for packaging issues...
==> Creating package "marvin"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
bsdtar: Option --no-read-sparse is not supported
Usage:
  List:    bsdtar -tf <archive-filename>
  Extract: bsdtar -xf <archive-filename>
  Create:  bsdtar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
  Help:    bsdtar --help
==> ERROR: Failed to create package file.
:: Unable to build marvin - makepkg exited with code: 5

They always stopped during “compressing” step
I read other topics on google, but most of them show that the error is related to the use of the update command inside an environment (like conda). However, conda is not active now

Could someone help?

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

You’ll have to contact the maintainer of the AUR PKGBUILD. Or modify the PKGBUILD yourself.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please see the following and make sure you have the prerequisites installed: Arch User Repository - Manjaro

That should not be happening. Do you have any aliases set that would override the default bsdtar command?

1 Like

Thank you.

Please see the following and make sure you have the prerequisites installed: Arch User Repository - Manjaro

OK. I’ll read it.

Everything worked fine until some days ago (I think two days?!) when I updated Manjaro (xfce). Now, I updated Firefox by using pacman, and it worked as usual, as well as I updated some of these packages that are showing errors using the add/remove software with no error messages. It looks like the error is with something related to the trizen/terminal
?!

Do you have any aliases set that would override the default bsdtar command?

Well, I have some aliases
 but I don’t think they could do this
 How could I see it?

Update your repo packages first:

sudo pacman -Syu

Reboot.

Then worry about your AUR packages. If Pamac or Trizen have issues, then update them manually

Look at the file where you added the aliases, perhaps? I don’t know where you put them. :wink:

Thank you for the welcome. Means much for a newbie.

asakura_hao’s description is pretty much my experience. I update with pacman regularly. The same for the AUR packages: through pamac. This started a few days ago.

I don’t have any aliases related to bsdtar. I do get three hits for it when I do which -a. One is local, in anaconda. The two others are in /usr/bin and in /bin. But, as far as I know, this has always been the case.

Look at the file where you added the aliases, perhaps? I don’t know where you put them.

Oh! It was something like the ‘which -a’ command I was looking for.

It showed three hits, /usr/bin/; /bin/; and the last one is on a folder that have an alias for a software inside it (I use an alias for the Avogadro software that is on the same folder as a “copy” of bsdtar)

Could this error be related to the Avogadro alias? It always worked fine . And also, why does it worked normally with add/remove software?

Hello :crazy_face:

Exactly, I have found that updating the repos before anything else, including System updates, makes it all run much more smoothly.

Are you using conda?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2061695

2 Likes

Thanks, zbe.
I had a bsdtar in my local conda directory - which was in my PATH. I removed it from PATH and things
worked.
Still begs the question, why is this problem occurring now? Oh well.
Thanks, again.

For future reference, just assume we need more information than what you think is sufficient. :pray:

Your original title made no reference to AUR PKGBUILDs (until it was later edited after discovering this was only an issue with AUR/PKGBUILDs; and not an issue with “updating your system”.)

This goes away from the standard Manjaro system, so it’s another important detail to mention in the original post. An agnostic package manager, not used by default in a Manjaro system, is kind of important to bring up when you’re facing issues updating your system through its package manager.

I’m not trying to sound rude, but this seems to be a common pattern in this forum. Not providing relevant and important information is not simply an issue of “not enough information”, but it also increases the chance that other users (who want to help you) will go off on wild goose chases and be led astray by red herrings, since every problem has an infinite number of causes without the proper context.

Imagine someone creating a thread titled “Can’t update my Manjaro”. Yet they don’t mention they’re behind a VPN or proxy, and they’re using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter. Then they later also mention “Oh and I can’t seem to visit certain websites. Some websites work, but others don’t.” So now we know it’s not really a problem with “updating Manjaro”.

2 Likes

Quick fix:
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH

Longer version:
Check with:
which bsdtar
If your bsdtar is set to something like:
/opt/anaconda/bin/bsdtar
Prepending /usr/bin/ to the PATH variable forces bsdtar to be found from /usr/bin/.

Hope it helps someone.
Cheers,
Frédéric

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.