Trouble setting up an Intel 630 in KDE

Hello, I’m running Manjaro KDE Ruah 21.3.7 on an HP G71 and an HP EliteDesk 800 G3. We’ve had the G71 on Linux for over a year and it has worked great. Added the G3 yesterday and the display quality is not as good as the G71. I’m referring to just normal work-related screens like Dolphin, haven’t tried to play a video and don’t play games. The colors are a bit off and the brightness is lower. It’s not terrible but it doesn’t look right; sort of like a white cover with opacity of 5%.

The comparison is on the same screen hooked up to each machine separately. The G71 has an Intel Moblile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller and the G3 has an Intel Graphics 630. The drivers listed as available are below.

I’ve tried to read about this stuff and one source stated that some kernels don’t support the dirvers and suggested moving “down” one in the list. The G71 is using 5.10.136.10 and the G3 5.15.60-1. Does this mean anything reagrading display quality? I’m not trying to get the G3 to look better but only the same as the G71.

Also ran:

mhwd-gpu --status                                                                                                                                                                                                  
:: status
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf'!

inxi -G                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.6

glxinfo | grep OpenGL                                                                                                                                                                                                       
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.1.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.1.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.1.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

I tried selecting proprietary drivers (because installed it more than once) and it still reads that open source drivers were installed.

I should add that the G3 machine came with Windows 10 and the screen brightness and colors looked about the same as the G71 but, of course, I couldn’t compare the same software screens.

Thank you for any guidance you may be able to provide.

mhwd -l -d                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ✔ 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> PCI Device: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:5912)
  Display controller Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  > INSTALLED:

NAME:        video-linux
   ATTACHED:    PCI
   VERSION:     2018.05.04
   INFO:        Standard open source drivers.
   PRIORITY:    2
   FREEDRIVER:  true
   DEPENDS:     -
   CONFLICTS:   -
   CLASSIDS:    0300 0380 0302 
   VENDORIDS:   1002 8086 10de 

> AVAILABLE:

NAME:        video-linux
   VERSION:     2018.05.04
   INFO:        Standard open source drivers.
   PRIORITY:    2
   CLASSIDS:    0300 0380 0302 
   VENDORIDS:   1002 8086 10de 

NAME:        video-modesetting
   VERSION:     2020.01.13
   INFO:        X.org modesetting video driver.
   PRIORITY:    1
   CLASSIDS:    0300 
   VENDORIDS:   * 

NAME:        video-vesa
   VERSION:     2017.03.12
   INFO:        X.org vesa video driver.
   PRIORITY:    0
   CLASSIDS:    0300 
   VENDORIDS:   * 

Warning: no configs for USB devices found!

Intel’s drivers are all Free Software. The option for proprietary drivers is only there for Nvidia.

That said, I too am using an Intel 630 GPU with the video-modesetting driver — albeit with the 5.4 LTS kernel — and I don’t have any problems with it — I don’t do Windows so I cannot compare to how it would be there. I am therefore going to have to leave matters over to our resident graphics hardware experts. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_Graphics

1 Like

Thank you. Do you get the warning warning: could not find '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf'! also? I take it it’s not imporant because the HP71, also running Manjaro KDE, returns the same warning.

Thank you. Much reading to do.

No, I get no such warning here. :man_shrugging:

May I ask another question please? How or why did you choose to use the video-modsettting driver rather than the default video-linux or video-vesa? Thanks.

And, if I switch, is it correct to uninstall video-linux and then install video-modsetting? I stupidly installed video-modsetting yeasterday from within the Manjaro Settings Manger and could not reboot thereafter.

The default when I installed this system (in 2019) was not video-linux — although that did come installed, and is still installed — but xf86-video-intel. So I installed video-modesetting instead and removed xf86-video-intel.

As I gather, you need video-linux, and perhaps also video-modesetting in your case. The only one you don’t want is video-vesa.

By the way, that warning you get about /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf is probably because you attempted to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers, for which you don’t have the hardware.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like